110 Tall, what type of lights?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bbauer

I have a 110 Tall FOWLER right now and I was playing with the idea of going to a reef tank. Since this tank is so tall what type of lighting should i use. Right now i Am using 2 21" compact flouresent 10000 k bulbs and 2 21" Actenic bulbs. Do I need to up grade. Also I am not really familiar with reef keeping. Can someone suggest a good link to get me started? Thanks

If your tank is the 48x18x29 listed for an All-Glass tank and you plan to keep any hard corals then I would say two 400 watt metal halides. If keeping only soft corals then you could probably get away with some VHOs.

If your tank is the 48x18x29 listed for an All-Glass tank and you plan to keep any hard corals then I would say two 400 watt metal halides. If keeping only soft corals then you could probably get away with some VHOs.

I agree...At that depth, if going with corals that require quite a bit of lighting and you don't want to be limited to where you can place them (ie height in the tank) I'd go with dual 400w MH's as well. :)

Back