12 Gallon Aquapod running a little hot - suggestions for a newbie? =)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

johnastig

Hey all. I'm currently cycling my 12 gallon aquapod and only have live rock and live sand in there right now, but i'v noticed that it's been running a little hot during the day, about 83-83.7F and overnight at about 80 with my heater on. iv even tried keeping the lighting off during the day but it still runs close to 83F. i would like to keep the temp swings to a minimum of 2 degrees throughout the day, other than keeping the top open, is there anything else i can do? :confused:

You can change the original pump out, for a maxi-jet. Also, you can install fans into the hood.

-Josh-:cool:

jetaero said:
You can change the original pump out, for a maxi-jet. Also, you can install fans into the hood.

-Josh-:cool:
Good advice on the pump. Go w/either the 900 or 1200. Fans should already be in the hood. You could go to some electronic store and get a better performing one and swap those out. (Caution, only if you have a basic understanding of wiring, if you can put in new light fixtures in a home then its no big deal.) The chiller is a great idea but you will have to empty the tank, and drill glass. I won't go there. Up to you though and I tinks you void the warranty on it. Try keeping the feed door open. If that doesn't help try a room fan blowing at the tank. My only question is where is the tank located?

that chiller you can run the an hob filter like the aquaclears. but the pump swap should do the trick.

thanks for all the suggestions guys.. mike, my tank is just in my living room, it does get a little hot in here though in the summer (when a.c. is off). im thinking about getting a HOB chiller if there is such a thing. any suggestions?

johnastig said:
thanks for all the suggestions guys.. mike, my tank is just in my living room, it does get a little hot in here though in the summer (when a.c. is off). im thinking about getting a HOB chiller if there is such a thing. any suggestions?

If it's against an exterior wall that would be a problem. Keep it 12"s from the wall. Like BR and jet stated earlier, a maxi-jet, you will see up to a 3 degree difference, honest fo' god. Glad you are fine tuning during the cycle. Unlike you I have to allow for 4 different seasons.

that chiller you can run the an hob filter like the aquaclears. but the pump swap should do the trick.

A great alternative then drilling I submit, but you have to figure a way to hang on the back of a self contained tank. If you are willing and have the space/concealment you can do a small bucket/sump, drill the chiller into the bucket run two small powerheads with tubing into your tank. The advantage is you can make it a fuge w/ lighting and all you have to do is drill the back of the hood to fit the tubing.

i have noticed that on cool days, my temperature stays at a relatively ideal temperature range.. 80-81. so im not sure if its the pumps. i noticed that it gets pretty warm in my living room on warm days and on those days the temps range from 80 at night to 83 during the hottest parts of the day.

i have noticed that on cool days, my temperature stays at a relatively ideal temperature range.. 80-81. so im not sure if its the pumps. i noticed that it gets pretty warm in my living room on warm days and on those days the temps range from 80 at night to 83 during the hottest parts of the day.

The room temperature will definately affect the tanks temperature big time. I learned that the hard and frustrating way trust me!(LOL) Especially with the size of your tank, your water's temperature will be influenced a lot quicker by the rooms temperature, than say a 75gal. :)

krish75 said:
The room temperature will definately affect the tanks temperature big time. I learned that the hard and frustrating way trust me!(LOL) Especially with the size of your tank, your water's temperature will be influenced a lot quicker by the rooms temperature, than say a 75gal. :)
Absolutely correct. JS, have tried a fan blowing directly at the tank? Try a 14" desk fan or the like, and place it a few feet from your pod. try the differing speed settings. The pod is not "air-tight" with the cover on and see if there is a difference. If that doesn't help try propping open the food hatch an inch and positioning the fan towards that from a few feet away.

4251cpd said:
Absolutely correct. JS, have tried a fan blowing directly at the tank? Try a 14" desk fan or the like, and place it a few feet from your pod. try the differing speed settings. The pod is not "air-tight" with the cover on and see if there is a difference. If that doesn't help try propping open the food hatch an inch and positioning the fan towards that from a few feet away.

im gonna try this out.. cuz even with the top open, the temp has been going up to 85-86 degrees.. and i think its because of the ambient temp in my living room.

Back