alittletank

I love this coral! pic from may 20
812P5200005_Medium_-med.JPG

here is a close up of one tip on may 20th
812P5200005.JPG

same tip on june 3rd
812P6030002.JPG

those 4 off shoots have grown 1/4"
the good news is every tip is showing this growth. :)

ok I am done bragging :D about my kids... ahh I mean corals

Allen

That is awesome Allen, way to go. What kind of super supplements you using to get that growth? ;)

Eliyah

I keep the cal above 400 and the alk above 3.2

a calcium reactor maintains the levels. I don’t use any additives.

But I do a dance at midnight under each new moon wearing only callurpa crown. :eek: I think that is the secret :lol:

Allen

I agree TMI. That is some good growth and a nicely colored coral. 1/2" a month, definately growing nicely. That thing will be huge in a year. Can we get some more details? Like what size is your tank, lighting, and how much flow is there?

90 RR with basement sump.

lighting
2x 250 ushio 10k single end bulbs, ballast pfo hqi -9 hours per day
2x 110 VHO blue actinics - 10 hours per day

flow
dremmeled out the overflow slots to 3x original size
2x 1/2" sea swirls with "Y" splits fed from an iwaki 100 from the basement.
probably about 700-800 gph turn over

filtration
100 lbs live rock,
4" sand bed
Barr Aquatic Becket skimmer

reeftek dual chamber calcium reactor set at 100 mpm and 60 bpm

sacrifice aptashia and vilonia after each dance :)

Allen

Nice Allen! I believe that is one of the corals I got from Steve Weast. I have it identified (my best guess) as Acropora lovelli. It requires very intense light to keep the blue color otherwise it turns a tan/light brown color. With high flow it forms thicker branches and thin branches in lower flow.

Regards,
Kevin

the pic from today was taken with the lights off so it shows a little brown. with the lights on it is a sky blue.

kevinpo said:
Nice Allen! I believe that is one of the corals I got from Steve Weast. I have it identified (my best guess) as Acropora lovelli. It requires very intense light to keep the blue color otherwise it turns a tan/light brown color. With high flow it forms thicker branches and thin branches in lower flow.

Regards,
Kevin

Nice piece! Kevin, is there any way that it could be Acropora loisettae ? Looks like a piece I have. Mine has been changing colors.

- Elmo

But I do a dance at midnight under each new moon wearing only callurpa crown. I think that is the secret :lol:

Caulerpa? OOOOHHHHH!!! That's my problem - I've been wearing a crown of Halimeda!

Great growth!

Outstanding!
That is one sweet piece.
I’m chomping at the bit to hook up my Ca reactor for just that reason.
Thanks for the inspiration ;)
S

Elmo,
A. loisetteae is usually quite fuzzy. It looks very similar to A. abrolhosensis but with thinner branches. Here is a picture of a A. loisetteae frag:

Regards,
Kevin

kevin I NEED ONE OF THOSE!!! But do I really have to do the Halimeda dance? Will it work if my kids do it instead?
Allen I thinK I will bring all my corals to you to get some growth! Then I can sell the frags and buy a reactor
Jerod

Back