14k or 20k ????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
i am now unsure if i want to go with 14k's or 20k's on my display tank..the bulbs are going to be 250w SE bulbs... i want a high par bulb.. i like blue,but i don't want it to look like just actinics on the tank

If you are used to 10k, then I would go with a 14k. The 20k may be a little too much change for you.
I don't think there are any high par 20k bulbs are there?

How about the reeflux 12k? They produce higher PAR & still produce a nice blue tint but not overwhelming blue.

i heard that the Reeflux 12k's lose Par really fast.. not sure if that is true, but i remeber reading it on here before.. i am looking at some 14k's.. i am stuck between the Ushio, Phoenix, and the Icecap.. anyone have any experience with the 250w SE 14k's?? which has the highest Par??

Last edited:
Without a meter to prove that I wouldn't believe it but I had them a while & was very happy with the performance. Anyway, the Phoenix 14K's are very nice also & not super blue as most 20K's are.

JMO

Seems as though most of these don't preform as well as the 10k's but a few do fairly well, I have seen good growth from the phoenix 14k's & it looks nice so that may be a good choice. JMO again LOL

Back