175w mh lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tony2005

hey guys and gals
maybe someone could help me out.i got 2 175w mh lighting and i was wondering how low can i go to the top of the water without overheating my tank.right now i got my lights about 10in above the tank.

oh by the way i have 2 10,000k 175w mh w/4 65w retro fit coralife lights all 03 true blue.will this set up be good for sps coral?

Last edited:
Well, you ask a good question. But it is not one that we can answer since it depends on lots of things I have seen tanks with 175s only a few inches off of the water with no heat problems, and I have seen tanks with 175's a foot off of the water with heat problems. The can be controlled by fans and evaporative cooling. If you have lots of airflow in your canopy you can put the bulbs closer to the water, if you have a closed canopy with no airflow you can have heat problems no matter what setup you have.

Kim

If you have decent reflectors, it really doesn't make much difference what height you have the bulbs above the water, as long as you keep the bulbs and reflectors clean. If you aren't going to clean them more than once per week, I would go with 8-10 in.

Back