180 Acrylic build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

eartaker

Well I finally found a larger tank for a good price IMO $100 =]. It needs some work but I hope to get it going soon. I got it from some restaurant that was closing down, they threw in the stand, a pro clear aquatic 200 wet/dry filter sump with a HOB overflow. The tank was filthy and needs some serious cleaning. It had sat for a year with water in it but no light. So what I need help with now is how I should put this filter system together. Sould I just use the sump it came with and add a skimmer with all the other stuff needed or should I just build a whole new sump with this 40 breeder I have? I would love to do corner overflows but I really don't have the room to drop down in the tank to get to everything in place. Any opinions on the HOB overflow systems, or how could I setup the overflow?

normal_DSCN1791.JPG

normal_DSCN1792.JPG

normal_DSCN1793.JPG

normal_DSCN1794.JPG

normal_DSCN1795.JPG

IMO... Build your own sump from the 40B (or larger if you can find a bigger tank to convert). The wet/dry sumps like this are more for fish only systems... Maybe that is what you are building??? maybe not??? I would drill the tank for bulkheads and add overflow boxes. You should be able to get in there to glue in either corner overflows or at least a 3 sided box overflow in the center of the back. A coast to coast would be best but that might be difficult (or impossible) to install given the opening sizes in the top of the tank. If the HOB overflow is what you have to work with I don't even see where it will work with this tank s it looks like the in-tank portion is larger than what will fit in the back slots in the top of the tank.

Sounds like I will be building a sump then. I will look-up some ideas for it but I would like to put a fuge in the sump as well. I have a 55G that I could use but the 40b has a larger area to work with. The HOB overflow comes apart then you put the basket back together on the inside of the tank. I could do a center overflow and corner inputs and now after cleaning out the tank and having my arms in it I think would be able to put in a corner overflow. Is there a site or somewhere I can buy a overflow kit or will I have to build one?

Overflow boxes are very simple to build. I can give you a hand if you like. Just shoot me a PM.

Nice score!!

I'd throw the HOB drain system as far as I could! One can put corner OVB's or a three sided box in, but it isn't as easy as it seams. Used tanks have streached, and bellied out. This makes it difficult to bond the new acrylic boxes to the used tank. If one doubts this, put a strait edge on that tank. Don't think you can use aquarium silicone. I have built 5 sided boxes to solve the problems. Double gasket the bulkhead, and your done. Jason

What kind of machining do you do? I have a 3 axis CNC. I know for a fact I will be needing some black acrylic sheet but don't know how much just yet.

I have plenty of Black Acrylic that I can cut to size. All the plactic places want your left arm for some. I have .250, .375, .500, .750 and a little 1.00". I can get the edges ready to glue if you wish. Just PM me what you'll need. Jason

After thinking about it more and more What are you thoughts on a large 36-48" center overflow (almost a coast to coast) with returns on each corner. Also after talking to peppie and doing some research I was thinking I could add a closed loop system to add more circulation. I found one system that has the returns ran under the sand and popped up around the tank.

Better use sch 80 bulkheads, or you'll regreat it later. It is super clean to do this, but the plumbing tab will kill you. The last one I installed went 950.00 without a pump. 6 Spears true union ball valves, and 5 Spears sch 80 bulkheads. You don't want to drop a rock on a regular bulkhead, unless you like doing 90% water changes! Jason

Ok so today I pulled the tank outside to fill it and test for leaks. I found none so I'm happy there but I did find 3 chips in the face of the tank. Is there anyway to fill them?

normal_DSCN1806.JPG

Nope! Sorry to say there is no way that they can be filled and look good. Would make a good sump though. Sorry for your luck, might just want to start with a clean slate, and go new. Just my .02.

Wow! Could the pump in that video be any louder?

Also I completely agree with Jason on the schedule 80 bulkhead in the bottom of any tank.

Tank build canceled.... I picked up a smaller tank, just got done drilling and replacing the silicone.

Back