180 lighting?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rrcjr1972

I am looking to buy a lighting fixture for my 180 that will house sps mostly, clams and a few softies. The light I am debating is the 72" ocean light with 4-250 watt 13k bulbs. Does this sound like a good light for what I am keeping, and do 13k have a blue tint. tank is 72" x 24" x 24".

The Ocean Light is pretty good, But I would also consider using pendents. It may prove alot cheaper to use and easier replace bulbs, The rule of thumb I have gone by in my years has been "the easier it is to service then the better is to have.

Nothing wrong with the fixtures but for the price I'd consider what Bob said or even go as far as retro fit your own MH setup, Little reading will go a long way & may save you money. On a tank 6ft long I would go with three 250 MH's & use the Reeflux 10K lamps, more PAR for growing corals & they give off a nice blue color, not as blue as the Reflux 12k's but still nice & you won't loose half that PAR & that is a good thing. JMO you will get tons more:D We have lots of lighting pages & people with pictures of their set-ups easy to search in the forums also!

Back