2 part dosing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
Yeah, i'd prolly start testing and dosing Magnesium if you're stepping up to SPS. If you don't have any test kits yet, i'd go with Elos. They're top notch. And as for dosing, try Brightwell's Magnesion-P. I've been using it, along with other Brightwell stuff on my 10gal and its really good stuff, very potent.. The dry Magnesion powder goes a LONG way, and it takes ALOT of liquid magnesium suppliment to raise it if its low in your tank. They also have calcium and alk. suppliments too which i've been using. I'd probably stick with individual suppliments rather then the 2 parters, its easier to target specific things that way... Say if your calcium is low but everything else is fine, adding the 2 part stuff will raise everything else as well as your calcium, which can be bad.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Brightwe...-Brightwell_Aquatics-BW01118-FIADMIDA-vi.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searchItem.aspx?SearchText=brightwell&parsed=1

Last edited:
I personally use the BRS 2 part w/ mag stuff its cheep and its easy to use the calculator they have is great! Personally that is one thing I wish I would have started using from the start. Like Brie said you need to get a test kit, MAG is just as important as everything else in a successful reef tank IMO, I will recommend a Elos tests kits as well.

i order an elos mag test kit along with the 2 part stuff. so i guess ill see what its at when it gets here. i drip kalkwasser now and my calcium is always 380-400 so maybe i should stop dripping that and just two part it?

ESV B-ionic = one of the tried and true 2 part additives, only maybe $25-30 for a gallon of each part.

on sale right now at Marine Depot for only $22.50.

I'm making an order, I'm running low.

Marlin see this post.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51294

Brie

I'd probably stick with individual supplements rather then the 2 parters, its easier to target specific things that way... Say if your calcium is low but everything else is fine, adding the 2 part stuff will raise everything else as well as your calcium, which can be bad.

2 parters are the same thing as individual sups for all practical reasons. Part 1 is Calcium and Part 2 is Alk and some have Part 3 more or less for Mg++. However, when bought as 2 parters they cost more.

If the limewater is working for you, you may want to consider sticking with it until it can't keep up, the stuff is cheaper then any 2-part, calcium, or alk additives on the market. As for the mag, if you haven't dosed anything yet, you may find after you test it that you'll be dumping the stuff in there like it's going out of style.

FWIW, I use limewater via topoff through a reactor, and manually dose 1 cup of Brightwell Mag every other day, my chemistry has been rock solid for the first time since I started.

Back