2 part supplements

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ichthys

I would like to start using supplemental dosing to my 55 tank. Here is what’s in there. Smallish frags of Softies; Zoas, GSP, Kenya Tree, Xenia, Toad leather, Pink Finger Leather, Ricordia Mushroom, LPS; 3 head Frogspawn Frag. From reading I believe I need to supplement Calcium, Strontium, Iodine, and “trace elements”, as well as feed the Kenya Marine Snow or Phytoplankton and the Frogspawn Micro-Plankton.
For the Calcium, Strontium part of the equation as well as Alkalinity buffering I am looking at the 2 part supplements;
Kent Marine Tech-CB Part A and B Kit
Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A - Balanced Calcium & Alkalinity System
Two Little Fishies C-Balance® Two Part Balanced Ionic Supplement of Calcium and Buffer for Marine Aquariums
E.S.V. B-Ionic 2-Part Calcium Buffer
Seachem Reef Fusion Two Part System 1 & 2 Calcium and Carbonate Supplement
Are the above 2-part systems all basically the same? Does any one stand out above the rest? Is there good reason NOT to use a particular brand?

For the coral feeding I am a bit torn. I have read pros and cons, with as little as I have in my tank, they should get enough from detritus, is there really a need to supplement? If yes, something like Kent MicroVert or Phytoplex?
The Iodine seems pretty straightforward, All the above listed brands have Iodine supplements..

I want to provide a good environment for my corals and fish, I am just getting tired of reading hour after hour after hour on marine science, lol. I think when I learn more I will write a ReefKeeping for Dummies book.
Thanks
Ichthys

You really don't need to add any of those supplements.
On a soft coral tank all that is really needed is regular water changes.

I agree with Marty how ever when you come over to pick the lights today I will also send you home with some WM 2 part that I am not using.

I did go back and reread you livestock list and your ricordea and your frogspawn would benefit from a specialized food. Maybe something as simple as what your feeding the fish.
But the rest of your softies don't need all those supplements.
Money could be spent elsewhere with a greater benefit to your tank.

Dosing Calcium

If you are considering whether to dose calcium or not, it wouldn't hurt to start off by testing for calcium and seeing what your calcium levels are. If the levels are low, then your salt may not be meeting the needs of your hard coral. If the levels are consistantly fine (above 420 ppm), then you would not necesarily need to dose 2-part.

If it turns out that you do want to dose calcium, if recommend bulk reef supply. You have to mix your the solutions yourself but its is VERY easy to do. Just add water. I essentially got a 2 year supply of 2-part of $60.

supplements

I will reply more in depth later when i have time, but I just wanted to say a BIG thank you to Roscoe. The light is going to work awesome and the gift of all the Supps was very very generous. You have a very beautiful tank, and that large Tonga rock piece is awesome.
I am constantly impressed with the kindness and generosity of those I have met in person through RF and PSAS. TBTH without a doubt one of the coolest things about this hobby (and a totally unexpected benefit) is that each piece in my tank represents a visit with a fellow reefer, I look in my tank and say, ahh there's Jrgilles, theres Fbacungan, theres Ellylove, Roscoe, Mark, Paul, Ken, and so on. Each piece of coral represents some time spent with a fellow reefer, somer brief, some long...but it is cool.

Ichthys

Have you tested your water to see if you need to dose?
For me....Alk, Ca, and Mg. I'm pretty bad with water change so I have to dose.

You really don't need to add any of those supplements.
On a soft coral tank all that is really needed is regular water changes.

This I agree with but I'd like to add, "balanced water changes". IO for example is low in ca and mg so add the appropriate amount of each to bring it up where it should be.
BRS is a great choice to get the additives needed at a good price.

Don

Back