2 yellow tangs in a 120??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

robzilla

hi, i'm in the process of shutting down one of my two tanks, and i have a yellow tang in each. i wanted to know the minimum size for housing 2 yellow tangs.
your thoughts?

IMO, too small of a tank, agression would be high..I would think a tank size of at least 200, but I am a very conservative person.

As long as it is a long 120 it should not be a problem.
Is one of the Tangs much bigger then the other?
That could pose a problem but ether way you should
Still keep a close eye on it.

IMO, too small of a tank, agression would be high..I would think a tank size of at least 200, but I am a very conservative person.

I agree, maybe you can get away with that for a while but in time they will be fighting!

I would also have to agree. All the LFS in Spokane and Seattle told me that they might be fine for the first few weeks but slowly they would start fighting with one another. Everything you read on yellow tangs say the same thing. I have 1 in my 180 and I'm glad I just put one in there. JMO though.

For a couple weeks, but eventually they will fight. If you intent to keep your fish long term its not recommended.

i think i found a home for one of them. it's much better than having them fight it out in the 120. thanks for the input

Back