20 gallon long........

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

richie822

does anyone have a 20 gallon long? was planning on getting one for my desk, but i was just wondering what lights you had over it? it seems as thuogh there is not much of a selcetion being 30'' long? so what do you guys have and were on the internet can i find it? is it posible to get t5's over a 20 long?

they make 30" 2x65 watt pc's, and for t-5 u'll either have to go for a 24" set up or a 36" set up, or you just got for a mh and it'll be dimmer at the ends

Are you stuck with a 20 long? If not, you'll have more options for lighting in a 29 gallon. I just did a quick search on some fixtures and found PC lighting available in 30" by Corallife and Current USA. For T5 lighting, I wouldn't recommend any fixture other than the Tek5, by Sunlight Supply. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it in 30".

I have a 20 long with 2 strips of t5 over it but I modded it so it has cross braces so the lights have like 3 inches on each side that are left open. But I like how the lights are really flat (like 2 inches) so they are really easy to move around if I need to get in my tank.

wuold a 36'' LIGHTING SYSTEM fit in a 30'' long? will it just look kinda weird or it wuoldnt even fit? do the t5s give off a lot of heat? the thing is it is goin g to be a fish only with live rock so i dont need alot of light, but at the same time i want the lights to look really nice. On all my previous tanks i have had pcs, but i was just wondering of t5s look better than pcs with the lighting output?

would a 36'' tek 5 by sunlight supply 4 bulbs at 39 be to extreme for a shallow 20 gallon long? the thing it is only gonna be a fish only so i dont need strng light but i just wondering if the lights look alot cooler than pcs? i plan on using this light fixture in the future with another reef tank? will those lights frighten the fish? i plan on having more actnic to give it a more blusih color..is it worth it?

i think for a non coral tank, 4x39w would cost you more but if you upgrade it will be worth it, u might consider a retrokit that's only 2x39w or 2x24 if you are going to keep it FO for a while, then adding another retrokit later, whichever length you decide, with the 24" it will not be as good lighting in those last three inches and it won't cost much more to go with the 36" retrokit, it might look a little weird with the light hanging over though, but if you make your own hood/stand you could cover this up by making more room on the sides so you can't see the extra length, but i think pc lights of the same spectrum will produce about the same color, but in terms of future plans i think t-5's work out quite a bit better then pc's especially in terms of hard corals

Back