200 G Plywood tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefdaddy1

Reef Geek Jedi
Well yes its time to go back to work and while waiting for my house to be built I have decided to Build me a new tank and combine some 55 g I have right now. This will not only cut down a space but I will have a group less on my electric with 5 of the 6 55G out of the house. This entire build will be documented here with Pics and all the stuff I used and price list of what it would cost. Here is the Breakdown of what is planned at first.

Tank Size: 24x24x80
Material: Plywood 3/4 in
Sump: 2 55 gallon DIY tanks. 1 Fuge 1 Like a wet/dry
other materials: west System epoxy http://www.westsystem.com/
Intial use: Will eventually be a in wall tank, But till house is built, it will be on a stand.

Flow: Sequence Dart from Sump, 2 Eheim 1262 Closed loop systems, 2-4 Sieo 1100's.

Lighting : T5 retro, Ice Cap Reflectors and Ice cap 660 ballast. 8 or 10 80 watts will be in there, Just have to figure How many I can squeeze in.

I will be keeping all types of corals and clams in this tank, So it should look good. The sand bed is going to be minimal, about 1 inch, Maybe a tille more to cover tubing for flow in the tank. The Glass will be in the front and one side. The front will be square and the side a large porthole to peer through.

This tank and one more will make up my fish room in the House. the smaller is first. The second tank will be a 500 gallon 8 ft tank. So please stay tuned for pics and updates. Plywood is being got tommorrow. :)

Bob

krish75 said:
Sounds really cool Bob! What are you using for the front to view through? I wish you best of luck man:)

Yeah I was looking it at said the Glass was not put in there. just the openings.

Its going to Be Starphire Glass on this. But only the front . Being its going in the wall at the house eventually I did not see the need for the porthole to be that as well.
My 160 gallons are both made this way. But I never went this big. Should be fun.

Bob

Sounds good man...But I have no idea where you got that quote from:lol: The power of the edit button(LOL) I'm sure it will work out just great man...I think it will be a very informative thread. :)

Here is my Cut list for tommorrow:

Material = Plywood w/ Glass
Tank Height = 24"
Tank Width = 24"
Tank Length = 80 "
Plywood w/ Glass Thickness = 3/4"
Approximate Gallons = 199

Cut List:
3/4" Exterior Grade Plywood
Bottom and top ( euro style design) = 80 " x 24"
Front = 80 " x 23 1/4"
Back = 80 " x 23 1/4"
2 Sides = 23 1/4 " x 22 1/2"
2 Top Brace = 22 1/2 " x 6"

3/8 inch Glass Front
Glass Front = 78 x 22

Also purchase will be:
Case of Liquid Nail
Box of 2 in drywall screws
west 405 epoxy

I will have all costs labeled here so if you want to do this you will have an estimate of what a tank should cost.

Bob

Last edited:
Yes , Being a plywood tank I have many options, I think Iam going to be running either 1 1/2 in or 2 in overflows to the sump system. I have yet to decide weather I want to drill the bottom and go through there, Or make them from the back wall, Not sure yet and any input would be appreciated. I have currently my 2 160's they both have bottom drilled 1 1/2 in overflows. Got any ideas of your own? Cuz Iam still up in the air about that part.

Yes , Being a plywood tank I have many options, I think Iam going to be running either 1 1/2 in or 2 in overflows to the sump system. I have yet to decide weather I want to drill the bottom and go through there, Or make them from the back wall, Not sure yet and any input would be appreciated. I have currently my 2 160's they both have bottom drilled 1 1/2 in overflows. Got any ideas of your own? Cuz Iam still up in the air about that part.

LOL...I figured if I ever had a tank built/custom made, I'd probably want my overflow to be behind the backwall of the tank to give more display space in the tank, or atleast, you wouldn't have the look of overflows sitting on the inside of the tank. It would be like the top of the backwall of the tank, would have the teeth cut in it (like an overflow) and the water will appear to just flow through the back of the tank (at the top) and then fall off into the pre-filter/overflow in the back. Did that make any sense?

krish75 said:
LOL...I figured if I ever had a tank built/custom made, I'd probably want my overflow to be behind the backwall of the tank to give more display space in the tank, or atleast, you wouldn't have the look of overflows sitting on the inside of the tank. It would be like the top of the backwall of the tank, would have the teeth cut in it (like an overflow) and the water will appear to just flow through the back of the tank (at the top) and then fall off into the pre-filter/overflow in the back. Did that make any sense?
Yeppers it did. And the space needed for display is a factor. So yes that way you described is a consideration. Iam just still kicking it around. It will one of the last things I do for this unit, So I have a little time.

Yeppers it did. And the space needed for display is a factor. So yes that way you described is a consideration. Iam just still kicking it around. It will one of the last things I do for this unit, So I have a little time.

Sounds good...I'm sure many people will chime in soon and offer some ideas. I think it will come out nicely. I'll have to search the forum a bit. I remember faintly that someone had a plywood tank or something here, but not sure if it was ever finished. I'll post the link if I find it:)

Well I got the wood today and am going to start building here this week. 2 Sheets of Plywood and about 24ft of 2 x 6. I will be building the Tank and Stand together. Already had the 2 x 4 s I needed. so all in the right direction. Stay tuned for pics starting I hope monday.

Well I got the wood today and am going to start building here this week. 2 Sheets of Plywood and about 24ft of 2 x 6. I will be building the Tank and Stand together. Already had the 2 x 4 s I needed. so all in the right direction. Stay tuned for pics starting I hope monday.

Sounds good! Measure twice...Cut once!:D

krish75 said:
Sounds good! Measure twice...Cut once!:D
Had to put the project off a few days, Buisness comes first, So please accept my sincere regret on this, As Soon as My site is up and running I will be doing this Project asap. Thanks all

Had to put the project off a few days, Buisness comes first, So please accept my sincere regret on this, As Soon as My site is up and running I will be doing this Project asap. Thanks all

Bummer! That's like being hungry and having 20 chickens out, ready to cook and you go to crank up the grill and it's out of gas!!!!(LOL) Well, there's always potato chips to tie you over until...:p Buisness first for sure. Otherwise there'd be no money to buy the wood! You're off this time:D

I'm really pumped to see some pics of this. I wana try a plywood/glass tank someday, and i would love to see a cost breakdown estimate for yours if you dont mind. You dont need to dig up exact numbers or anything, but just a rough guess at what things like the epoxy (and how much you need) and starphire cost would be handy.

thanks a bunch, and best of luck to you!
-Luke

Excellent reefdaddy! I am also looking forward to seeing this tank come together.

MIke

Thanks for hte support guys, It will start here in few days and been some changes. I took the plywood and stuck in the corner of the Garage for a future project, This one is going to be all the same equipment however a change in the demensions.

New design?:
4 ft l x4 ft wx 24 h

2 feet is nice for reefscaping but 4 ft is better. It will have 2 viewable sides and be a corner tank. So I got new wood today and will starting it as soon as my buisness site is up running. Look for me on the web, Comming to RF soon!!!

Bob

Sounds great Bob! You said it will have 2 viewable sides...Does that mean that the sides will be all glass or will it be wood with glass windows cutout to view?

krish75 said:
Sounds great Bob! You said it will have 2 viewable sides...Does that mean that the sides will be all glass or will it be wood with glass windows cutout to view?

Its going to be wood and glass. All the wood will be painted black to match the industrial look of the fishroom. It will also add strength because I can butt the 2 pieces of glass and silicone them together as well as the wood. So it should work out. I was looking at the schematics and see a corner that really needed some pop. So that is why I changed it. It will be bigger, But all the same with equipment.

Back