200 Gal. Automated wall tank starts in two days!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi everyone
I am two days away from the largest tank set up I have had to date. So this is the plan in short. I currently have a 110 gal full reef semi automatic.
I am having a custom tank built and this tank will be made exactly how i need it and not for the masses. I am installing this new tank into the wall in my livingroom.
This tank will be aproximatly 200 gal and fully automated. Yes I did say automated!! my goal is to have this set up so I can do water changes by my smart phone anywhere in the world.
I am also installing many safty systems which are secure and quite simple.On this tank I will take all I have learned over the past 14 years and use it to create my best tank yet. I will update this thread as I continue the project with pictures and information. I am happy to answer your questions if you have any. I assume this will take me several weeks to complete as i dont want to rush this one. When this project is complete I will be able to see the tank in live streeming video from my smart phone anywhere. :)
This is my dream tank come true I feel like a big kid at Christmas :)

We'll look forward to seeing the updates. I have a 210 built in (FW, retired reef) and love a quality in-wall system.

Please elaborate on the "Automation" aspect. What controller(s) are you using? Are you using a DIY controller, factory bought controller or an industrial control system (Siemens etc).

Sounds cool I love automation to. Let us know a little bit about what you got planed??

Mike

Looking forward to the build. I would love to love having an automated system, but for some reason my OCD doesn't allow me to relax much knowing something is automated. It's crazy and annoying at the same time :p. Good luck with the build. Tagging along to see it all come together and thanks for sharing. :)

Hey, welcome aboard Reef Frontiers and really looking forward to seeing this build come about. It has taken me just shy of 30 years of reefkeeping to finally step up to a controller and a ATO system. So bring it on and show me what else I cannot live without. Oh pics, lots of pics.

Cheers, Todd

Ok well I seem to have hit my first obstacle the space for my tank is under the stairs and is a supporting wall so.... a large header is required this will limit space required for the tank.
I would like to keep the tank as high on the wall as possible but the header will limit what i can do at this point. So I have re designed the tank. Now the tank will be 48" long 24 " high 32" deep.
that means this is no longer a 200 gal wall mount but a approx 140 gal. I am still happy with this plan as this tank will be very deep and shallow and thats good with me. this design will allow some cool aquascaping. So this tank will be drilled in the back 5- 1" holes. The bottom will be drilled also for a total of 9 holes.the bulk heads x 2 will be made of glass as the tank will be glass.
I am still in the early planing stages for the automation at this point but i am in the advanced planning stage for the infrastructure.So the tank will have a fresh water supply and a drain as part of the set up. I am also planing to install a pan under the tank , sump and water change container.This will be a safe guard for that dreaded water spill. I also will install a water level auto pump shut off as a secondary saftey system. I am also installing a water top off controller. I am building a controll panel to plug in various equipment with options for remote acess. The idea is to be able to turn pumps on an off from my cell phone. This will allow me to do water changes remotley.Yes I will include pictures as I go not much too se at this point as I have to confirm the tank order and empty my wallet.So i will get back to work and update soon thanks for all the replies. Dust destruction yes its all here now good thing I am single :)

Last edited:
west coast,

i have a wall mount for a 375g..if you need to talk or need some ideas, let me know..

also my link under my sig has some pics of my build...start with the last page first. :)

GREAT always need advice. this is my first wall tank and im sure i will run into many challanges.
west coast,

i have a wall mount for a 375g..if you need to talk or need some ideas, let me know..

also my link under my sig has some pics of my build...start with the last page first. :)

for starters, I would suggest before you place the tank in the wall, give the baseboards that will be supporting the tank two coats of marine epoxy paint.

Now that is a very good idea. I will do that painting as salt creep can be very destructive. I do plan on having a pan under the tank that has a over flow drain this should help with any spills.
The room for the tank is quite small so I like the idea of marine paint. I am planing on installing a exhaust fan in the room this will control humidity. I do not like how my system affects the air quality in my home currently. With this new set up I will controll the air around the tank and it will be a separate room from the rest of the house.
This is a picture of the current set up I have, it has a auto top off controller and over flow protection also a water supply with a drain. I have a pan under this set up with a drain. SAVED MY ASS more than once.

Attachments

• IMG_1534 (119x160).jpg
    IMG_1534 (119x160).jpg
    15.5 KB
Back