240 Gallon In Wall Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ichthys

Well the 90 has been up and running for over a year now, and I have really enjoyed it and learned a tremendous amount. The long term goal was always an in wall, and the time has come to start planning. Unlike my last endeavour which was buy first think later then scramble to buy bigger better lights pumps skimmers etc.. the 240 will be long in the planning and aquiring equipment phase. I would like to have the tank wet and beginning to cycle by June 2012. The tank will be installed in the wall directly behind my existing 90, the wall separates my bedroom from the garage which has become my fish room. My 90 is plumbed thru the wall and the sump and ato and support equipment is already in the garage, so buildinga stand and cuttinga hole in the wall around an existing system will be a fun challenge.

The first step will be aquiring a tank of suitable dimensions. 96" long by 24" wide are musts, but 24, 28, or 30 are all possible tank heights, (or depths as the case may be). So.. I am on the lookout for a 240+ glass only in very good to flawless condition. I will probably buy new as i dont imagine anyone having exactly what i want laying around collecting dust. I am leaning towards a low iron content glass such as Starphire and am wondernig what current owners like or dislike about LIC glass. Besides Starphire there is Diamant, Krystal Klear and Optiwhite, anyone know of manufacturers using these products?

Also, seeing as this is an in wall setup, i am kicking around idea of building plywood/fiberlgass tank with Starphire front, anyone have any good leads for DIY plywood tanks? Well the process has begun, wish me luck lol...

Back