24in Tall tank would 2 250w Mogul MH w/Ice Cap Ballasts work for SPS?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanoReefer411

I'd like to purchase the Oceanic Starfire Tech Series. It's 120g. This tank measures 48X24X24. I'd like to know if 2 250w Mogul MH w/Ice Cap Ballasts would work well for this tank? Or if 1 MH with the Ice Cap Ballast and then my Spare I have. It's a 250 PFO unit, but it's on a pulse start ballast. I want to do mainly SPS and Clams. I have some LPS and Zoanthids I would still like to keep as well. I was also thinking of some T-5's for supplements or either all T-5's. I'd appreciate your help. Do you know how much heat this might produce? I don't have a chiller, but I have an AC unit in the room the tank will be in. I also have tons of fans. I'd appreciate your help. Thank you.

Here's a little something I took from a sponsor's website's (Premium Aquatics) as a general guidline for MH's. Maybe this will help. Good luck!:)

Metal Halide: ... Some guidelines are 1 halide bulb for every 2 feet of tank, up to 3 feet. 175watt up to 24" deep, 250watt up to 36" deep, 400watt for deeper tanks. It's very common for hard core reefers to use 400watt on even a small 30 gallon tank. When it comes to sps and clams, they can handle and thrive under intense lighting. With halide, you also need to consider the Kelvin, which is the color temp. 5500K warm white, 6500K warm white, 10K Crisp white to blue tint, 12K-20K blue tint. For mixed reefs, we recommend the 10K bulbs, for sps and clams, we recommend the 65K's. If you go 55-65K, we highly recommend VHO or PC actinics, they will improve the overall color and look of the tank

Back