250W Radium with LED?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

makeme1098

Reader
Currently, I am running 250 Radium with 6 x 24W T5s.
I like that combo and there is nothing wrong with it.
But I have been running the same set-up for a while and looking to do something new.
I can't add any more frags since I have no more space. Tank upgrade is out of question.

Only thing I can think of is to change out the lights.

I'm thinking about swapping put the T5s with maybe 2x15 watt Radions with 250MH?
My tank dimension: 36.5" x 24.5" x 25"

Any input?

2 of the XR15 Radions will be more than enough for your tank. If this is your first try with leds, congratulations on picking a very good fixture.

You could supplement them with T5's but it's not necessary.

Really wouldn't need the 250 watt mh.

2 of the XR15 Radions will be more than enough for your tank. If this is your first try with leds, congratulations on picking a very good fixture.

You could supplement them with T5's but it's not necessary.

Really wouldn't need the 250 watt mh.

Thank you.
Is there any reason to why I don't see much of MH and LED fixture combo?
This is nothing firm but I'm leaning towards this light line up.

giesemann super actinic
Radion XR15w
250 Radium
Radion XR15w
giesemann super actinic

Sounds overkill right?

Thank you.
Is there any reason to why I don't see much of MH and LED fixture combo?
This is nothing firm but I'm leaning towards this light line up.

giesemann super actinic
Radion XR15w
250 Radium
Radion XR15w
giesemann super actinic

Sounds overkill right?

2 of the XR15's has the capacity to fry any coral you get all by themselves.

Too much of a good thing, can be a bad thing.

With those 3 light sources, the mh and T5 would be starting out on full power.
I would start the leds out with maybe 15% and using the acclimation program over 4 weeks go up to maybe 30%.

You would really be not using a expensive light fixture to even half it's potential.

But that's just my opinion.

2 of the XR15's has the capacity to fry any coral you get all by themselves.

Too much of a good thing, can be a bad thing.

With those 3 light sources, the mh and T5 would be starting out on full power.
I would start the leds out with maybe 15% and using the acclimation program over 4 weeks go up to maybe 30%.

You would really be not using a expensive light fixture to even half it's potential.

But that's just my opinion.

Makes sense though:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info.
I'm clueless when it comes to LED lights.
First i thought i would need 2 x XR30 for the coverage but 2 x XR15 would be too much lights.

Do you think I would have shadowing issues with LED / MH combo?

I think first you need to decide which lighting option you're going to use. Then we'd be better able to help. Personally I won't tell you which is better because it is based on personally opinion, preferences and experience.
I've ran T5's for 5years. They did great. But I was looking for more control over my lighting and replacing bulbs every 6-10 months got expensive and inconvenient.
2yrs ago I switched to LED's. I will never go back to using T5's. Nor will I ever use MH. The cost of running them, the heat they put out and bulb replacement are the only reasons.

All 3 options grow corals without a doubt. It's all about personal preference.

I'm not sure I see a scenario where I'd ever run a mh/led combo. The idea behind a combo (to me) would be to make up for something missing. MH will give a good color representation, and is a full spectrum solution.
I have added leds to my T5's on my 75 to get some extra pop and color. I know some folks add T5 to their leds to try to get a little extra growth, but I don't think I've read about anyone supplementing leds with MH or MH with leds...
Of course, just because I haven't heard/read doesn't mean no one is....

Thank you for the info.
I'm clueless when it comes to LED lights.
First i thought i would need 2 x XR30 for the coverage but 2 x XR15 would be too much lights.

Do you think I would have shadowing issues with LED / MH combo?

First of all, you can use a XR30 with wide angle lens on your tank. It will give you decent coverage. I would suggest the gen 3 or gen 3 pro.
Even better would be 2 of the XR15 pros. Personally on a 36" tank if the funds were available, that would be perfect.

I don't think the mh and led is just a very good idea. The mh kicks out a lot of heat and I don't know how leds are going to handle long term heat issues.

If you are dead set on using a mh bulb, I would go with mh and either T5 or VHO supplementation.
Then deal with the heat issues.

A 250 Radium powered by a PFO HQI ballast with 2 x 75 watt VHO 454 actinic was the best color combo I ever had on a tank.
Just too spendy to keep running year after year.

If you have the funds 2 x XR15 pros are the way to go, IMO

Back