29 gallon AGA tank build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ac7av

Bring on the FISH!
As many of you know I was collecting some gear for my brother who was having some problems with his system. Thanks for everyone’s help and equipment that was very reasonably purchased.

I wanted to let you know how things are going on this build. I only have one picture at the moment but I plan on getting more and detailed pictures when we get threw just to show what you could do using recycled wood, old parts and some imagination with a very limited budget. This thing is pretty amazing.

The main tank is a 29 gallon AGA, 175 watt MH with and old 10k, at the end of the week a new14k bulb and moon light strip. He has an over flow box in the middle and two penguin power heads for flow in the tank We are going to try and fit in a 65 watt pc actinic bulb but the space is limited with that big 175 in the middle.

The sump / fuge is a recycled 24 gallon aqua pod with the back removed and new glass installed into it to create the different compartments. The back left houses the skimmer. It’s a modified back-pak skimmer that is now a built in skimmer and seems to be working very well. He is having to empty the cup nearly every day, so it’s definitely pulling some junk out of the water and after a day or two has almost no micros coming out of it. From the skimmer the water flows into the front of the tank on the left side. At this point you can see in the picture is just looks like a tank but the font half of the tank is going to be the refugium with a deep sand bed and macro algae. As you can see by the way its displayed this is also going to be some what of a display tank to enjoy the different algae’s and plants what will be growing in it. Watching all the small life that lives in the fuge can be as interesting if not more then the display tank so we decided to display it too. With the bow front on that tank we should really be able to see some amazing stuff. The sump is the back right of the tank and has a 350 gallon per hour pump that use to be in a cheep skimmer that didn’t work worth the darn. The pump however is nice and quiet and does well to pump around 180 estimated gallons with the 4 foot head to the tank. There is a 200 watt stealth heater in there for the heat and the light on the front of the fuge is a 6,500 k cf flood light from CFL Universe. It is mounted into an outdoor fixture that is also water tight with rubber seal around the bulb from Ace hardware.

The tank currently has water in it and the rock is not the same, but this gives you an idea of what’s going on with it. Unfortunately that top is still white because the weather has not been nice enough to paint it out side but he will get that done soon as weather permitting.

http://www.cfluniversenew.com/servlet/the-657/23W-PAR38-CFL-FLOOD/Detail

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/570488/20100517/193453.jpg

Back