3 pumps go out in 10 days??? Whats up?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tkmak

I have had all three of my pumps go out in 10 days. First it was my Pentair Quiet One 4000HH, then my ViaAqua powerhead/pump that pumps into my Ca Rx from my sump. Just today, my Sedra 3500 needlewheel goes out on my Euroreef.

All three had impeller problems, it almost seemed that the impeller magnet cylinder was no longer perfectly cylindrical. Seems almost as if somebody took a hammer to it, looks kinda like a crushed aluminum can.

What the Hell?

I am thinking fast changes in water paremeters. I would check your magnesium.
How are you dosing calcium and alk? I see this happen often to people dosing with out a reactor.

What was your alkalinity? I believe that higher alk values can lead to reduced solubility of calcium carbonate. It will precipitate first on warmer surfaces (heaters, pump rotors, etc), and will accelerate the wear of pump rotors.

Calcium can certainly accumilate and kill pumps. Also check to make sure your power source is good. Interupted or weak power supply is tough on motors.

It may be electrolysis, do you have a grounding probe? Your insulation on one of your electrical devices may have broken down, the electricity will travel through the water and eat metal, as a boater we fight this every day.. This can also be life threatening to you so I would check it pronto..

Back