3 VHO's - what combo should I run?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fignewton

That about says it. Going to be running 3 48" VHO's over a 75 reef. I just keep softies, etc, though I do have a thriving anchor.

I'm currently running two bulbs. (going to max out my 430 with 3 bulbs) A super actinic and an actinic white.

Should I run two actinic whites and one super actinic?

Or, A super actinic, actinic white and an aqua sun?

Your thoughts?

I'd try a mix of the 3 different bulbs first...if you don't like it, you can always mix and match with other combinations later...

MikeS

IMO...I would use...2x Actinic Whites (12,000Kelvin) and 1x Super Actinic all URI VHOs with the internal reflectors, not the other version.

You can stagger them IMO....Super Actinic - Actinic White - Actinic White, or Actinic White - Super Actinic - Actinic White.

Front of tank
|======================================| (Super Actinic)
|======================================| (Actinic White)
|======================================| (Actinic White)
Back of tank

Again...experiment..

Best,
Ilham

Last edited:
What i would do, and this is what i do, is get two whites and a actinic blue like Elmo said, but i would put the blue in the back, call me superstitious, but thats me!

Just as another idea, you could sell the icecap 430, buy 2 workhorse7 ($35 apiece) and run 4 bulbs over driven in series.

2 Workhorse 7s will overdrive harder than a icecap660, they instant start (means you only need 1 wire per side, so it only takes half the wires), and they cost a small fraction of the price.

If you gotta just run 3 though, go with elmos recomendation.

Back