30 gal cube, a new adventrue

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

10gnano

The upgrade is in the works, I have had a ten gallon tank since I began my adventures in this money pit of a hobby. After a recent discover of a leak (which is now fixed), I have decided I want a bigger tank. After a couple days of searching the right deal came along and I know have a 30 gallon cube sitting in my room. This thing is like Goliath compared to my 10 gallon. i just hope in this case Goliath out performs. I haven't decided how i'm going to go about the setting up, although I do know that I want a sump/fuge. If anybody has any recommendations please let me know. Here is a pic of new cube and the old ten gallon.

Attachments

• 30 gal empty.jpg
    30 gal empty.jpg
    18.9 KB
  • 10 gal.jpg
    10 gal.jpg
    16.9 KB
So i'm trying to work out the plumbing for this tank. I've decided to stick with the Bean Animal overflow, I know it works and it's dead silent. As for a return I would like to split it and have one on each side of the tank to produce more random flow. I have some questions about this though.

1. Will this be beneficial in producing more of a random flow or am I wasting my time? The thought process is that I can have two loc-lines producing water movement in different directions.

2. I currently have an Eheim Ecco Compact 2000 pump for my return, will this work for a return pump? The pump has an adjustable flow rate of 230-530, head will approximately be around 50" (probably less as I plan to have the sump/fuge elevated up from the bottom of the stand)

3. What size pvc should my overflow be? My current setup has 3/4". I think 3/4 will work fine if I use the same eheim pump.

4. How do I edit my title so I can fix the spelling on adventure? I guess this is why we're supposed to proof read.

Got a couple new additions for the setup, two k3 powerheads and a spectrapure RO/DI. No longer will this kid be making trips to the LFS to fill up my numerous water containers. How should I store the device after I use it? I only plan on making batches of water as I need them. I have read that if stored improperly that algae can grow on the filters and ruin the water produced. If I store it in black garbage bags to keep the light out will that be alright?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You might want to start a thread dedicated to your question to get more feedback. A lot of the time, people overlook build threads sometimes or just scan for pictures and not read the fine print. I've never used a ro/di unit so I can't comment, but throw up a thread on it. I'm sure you'd get the responses you'd need.

Still tagging along!!!! :D

10gnano, are you saying you are going to hook it up and break it down every time you make water? Why not just leave it hooked up? Mine hangs in the garage and I have not had a problem with algae. If you want to store it I would think a large plastic tub with a lid would be easier
How much water do you plan to make at one time? How do you plan on storing the new water?

I don't really have the option of leaving it hooked up. It will be used in the basement where we have a sink, which is used for other things and I fear if i leave it set up one of my clown roommates will mess it up when removing it to use the sink. I was planning on picking up a 10-15 gallon container to store the water in, so I would make around that much each time. Not sure How much I will need for water changes yet on the new setup, i can't imagine that I will need more than 3-5 gallons a week with changes and top off.

I am not a plumber by any means, but I am sure I have seen a set up where they plumbed their unit directly into their sink and had it mounted under neath in the cabinet. Post a new thread addressing this on the general discussion site. Some will be able to help you.

I keep my RO/DI unit in a plastic tub, but i dont think it will be an issue if you plan on using it weekly... new tank looks sweet! any specific plans for it yet?

I keep my RO/DI unit in a plastic tub, but i dont think it will be an issue if you plan on using it weekly... new tank looks sweet! any specific plans for it yet?
I turned it into an AIO, I have changed threads. The new one can be found if you click on the link In my signature

Back