300 Gallon Upgrade

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bearjohnson

I may have the opportunity to grab me a 300g acrylic tank. I was planning to upgrade my 125 to a 240 but then this thing came along and I just have to investigate this a little further.

My question is for some of you guys and girls that may have some experience in planning and maintaining a system of this size. Some of the things I'd like to know are:

1. is there any real huge difference other than the cost to upgrade to larger equipment and maintenance?

2. Does it become easier to maintain a much larger system due to water volume?

3 Any tips or tricks on keeping the system simple yet efficient on a large system

4. Also any other information that you may think would have been helpful to those of you that set up a large system like this had you known before you originally began your large thank build.

Thanks!

Last edited:
All I can say is make sure your floor can support it. Some people one here have reinforced there floors to hold larger tanks.

Is there any real huge difference other than the cost to upgrade to larger equipment and maintenance?
IMO, yes. More salt, more elctricity, more supplements, more everything including time all long term.
Does it become easier to maintain a much larger system due to water volume?
IMO, No. When you go from four foot of aquascaping to six or eight you have alot more work to do to keep it pristine. In your case, the 125 is probably six foot already but you still have alot of extra LR to deal with and glass to keep clean. The extra volume provides extra time for you to fix your screw ups before they are catostrophic.

Any tips or tricks on keeping the system simple yet efficient on a large system
Yes, automation of everything including WC's. Also, keep your sump simple and dont add a bunch of remote tanks. A remote frag tank, remote fuge and any other tanks need flow and lighting which starts to add alot of mothly costs and maintenance to your hobby. It also becomes too complicated for your tank sitter to figure out when you leave for the weekend.

Also any other information that you may think would have been helpful to those of you that set up a large system like this had you known before you originally began your large thank build.

Make sure this is what you really want long term. The structure of your house is also an extremely valid consideration

I know alot of people try and go as complicated as they can. But I like to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks for all of the input guys! The house supporting the tank is not an issue. I have a lot to think about and I'm all in on the hobby so it's going to be a matter of pulling the trigger if the deal comes together. I'll keep you all posted if anything materializes. Thanks again for the education.

Mark

Back