30x30x20 ID for son

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wpitrof

OK. I decided I'm going to make my son a Christmas Present. I'm going to do a complete DIY system. The pic is the plan for the tank. It should be about 76 gallons. I'm looking for criticism on the design. Is it going to be strong enough with the euro brace? How much deflection do you think there will be? The over flow is combined 15" long, 3/4" hole and will have gutter guard in the back to keep critters out. I plan to use the bean quiet over flow (that's why the 3 holes). This is the sump i want to make for it: except i want to extend it 2" to 28x18x16 http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/m/sump_model_m.html
Will this be good enough for it?

I plan to run a closed loop on it. so I have the following questions about flow:
What pump do you recommend for the closed loop? Flow?
I was thinking 4 return lines (would like to run SPS)

What configuration for the closed loop?

what return rate should I use. I was thinking 700 to 1000 GPH?

I'm sure ill have more questions but this will work or starters

I don't plan on starting this until September. I'm in Afghanistan and wont be settled until about then. (plenty of time to redesign if i need to)

thanks Wayne

tank30x30.jpg

tank30x303.jpg

tank30x302.jpg

reeflow pump for cloosed loop all the way
the quietest pumps I've ever heard!
For 76 gallons I would get the Snapper or the Dart

My 3600 GPH dart pump is quieter than my skimmer pumps or return pumps!:)
Put one 250w MH with a lumenbright or lumenarc reflectors (two best on the market)and two 24" T-5 actinics over it. then maybe down the road add a few blue LED's for moonlight effects.

also the brace in your pics going around the tank will be fine!
If you want the best and quietest overflow. look into the "BERNIE" system
two holes one gate valve
dead silent

Last edited:
basically you have two pipes sticking up inside the overflow one is about 4-6 inches taller than the other the shorter one is your main on the main, you want a gate valve, to tune it. :)
the taller one is your emergency back up
the pipes in the overflow can just be straight up and no turns or elbows...
the taller one is a straight shot to the sump...
the gate valve you tune it to raise the water level to the top of the secondary pipe..
this will make it that no air goes in the main and it is dead silent.
march11013.jpg

march11017-1.jpg

if you run your pipe from the main BELOW the sump water surface you will not hear any splashing or gurgling at all..
The secondary will drip occasionally
But if the secondary is splashing water (make sure the end of that one is ABOVE the sump water surface) you know your either plugged or need to just turn the gate valve just a touch :)

if you run your pipe from the main BELOW the sump water surface you will not hear any splashing or gurgling at all..
The secondary will drip occasionally
But if the secondary is splashing water (make sure the end of that one is ABOVE the sump water surface) you know your either plugged or need to just turn the gate valve just a touch :)

what keeps it from sucking air in to the low pipe. the gate valve ?
and how do i determine what size pipes i use?

thank you ill need to research it to determine which would be better for my aplication.

any ideas on the best layout for a closed loop?

you will see the 3 drains half way down and one is flipped up for a fail safe. works dead silent I do not know what method this is but I did like it and works great. pump wise for a closed loop I would go with a dart on that size system you will need a 2 inch drain and atleast 4 x 1 inch outlets better to use 3 x 1 1/4 outlets. I am doing the same on my build not on this forum but I am going with 5 1 inch outlets and a think I will be restricting flow even with that.

you will see the 3 drains half way down and one is flipped up for a fail safe. works dead silent I do not know what method this is but I did like it and works great.
It's the same set up just the original configuration from the bean web site. I just need to scale it down to handle less volume want to be pushing 700 gph through the sump.

http://beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

you will need a 2 inch drain and at least 4 x 1 inch outlets better to use 3 x 1 1/4 outlets. I am doing the same on my build not on this forum but I am going with 5 1 inch outlets and a think I will be restricting flow even with that.

should the outlets be in an "H" configuration or a horizontal configuration?
i was thinking 2 high 2 low with the outlet in the center

Back