36 lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dtd87

Currently on my 36 I have a 96 watt current usa t5ho fixture 2x10k and 2x actinic bulbs.
I was told I need a little more like and such seeing as I don't have the cash to currently upgrade the lighting to MH.
So here is the question

I have another 2bulb t5ho fixture with a 10k and rosate bulb or whatever it is. That I used to have on a 25g fresh water. Should I add this to the current setup and if so which bulbs should I put into it! Please let me know and thank you

So you have a 4X24 watt T5HO fixture? Do you know the brand of the fixture? Does it have individual reflectors, or reflectors that wrap around each bulb? If so, you actually have a decent fixture, that will allow you to grow a great variety of corals. If it has a parabolic reflector, it's junk.

I suppose one of the real problems is the 30inch length of the aquarium

I definately want a good light and I was recommended this set up for MH

Lumatek Dimmable 250w ballast
Sunlight Supply Lumen Max 3
and a Phoenix 150 watt bulb

I'm really not sure what to get really, I want something good but money is kind of an issue. What would you recommend?

If you get a 250W ballast, you won't want a Phoenix 150W bulb. You'll need a 250W bulb.

Ahhh I see. Missed that part...lol. How deep is your tank? I'd suggest going with 250W, myself. I've had 150W over an 18" deep tank and was very unhappy with the coral growth and coloration. I replaced the fixture with a 6 bulb Tek5 T5HO fixture and noticed a quick improvement in growth and coloration.

It's 20 and 5/8ths so 21 inches lol. I thought about a tek or and ati but I can't decide if I should get the 24inch or get a 36 inch and have it bleed over =\ or just go with the mh.. it would seem in the long run t5's would be better

IMHO I personally would stay with T5's. They are a lot smaller, put out less heat, cost less to operate and you have lots of variations of bulbs you can run in different combinations. My rookie opinion is stay with the 24" width as well. Why have a bunch of extra hardware hanging past the end of your tank? We are running 4 36" T5's with TekII individual reflectors on our tank and its 30" deep. The reflectors are claimed to increase the output of the bulbs by up to 300%. So far we have had no issues with lack of light but we don't have a very heavy bio load yet. We are going to be adding more this weekend to try out different SPS, LPS, zoa's and softies at various levels to see how everything does. All I know is that by looking at the tank it has plenty of light. The zoa's. leather coral and mushrooms are all loving it on the sand bed. We have a cabbage coral that I am moving from the top of the tank to mid level because it seems to not be liking all the light at the top.

Going with a 24 will save me some money too haha :p. Yeah I thought about a tek or ati maybe a 6bulb not to sure yet. My tank is currently doing a mini cycle I believe so I'll see what I can afford within the next month or two. I might just supplement with the extra 24inch fixture I have.

Back