40 Breeder Retool

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, after much consideration, it's time to change up our 40 breeder frag tank.

A lil' history about this tank. It was set up in Feb. of 09 and meant to be a frag tank. Originally, it was a 150MH Aqualight Pro, over it. I grew unhappy with the results from that fixture and upgraded to a 36" 6 bulb Tek5 T5HO fixture.

To start with, it WAS a frag tank, and fulfilling that purpose quite well. However, when my 200 crashed, in November of 09, http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49384 , it became a "rescue tank." Once the 200 was completely recovered, livestock was moved back into it, from the 40 and the 40 was set up as a frag tank, once again. However, that changed, when a couple friends needed a tank to house livestock in, for various reasons. It's kind of still being used for that purpose, but that's about to change.

The 40 will be moved into our basement. Well, it's not actually "basement," but more of a partial basement, catch all....lol. The junk will be cleared out and room will be made. In the process, I'll be adding a second 40 breeder to the system.

I already have some extra equipment laying around, that I intend to use to tie both tanks together.

My plan:

Move the 40 downstairs, use a CPR CS202 Overflow box, rated at 1500GPH, to add a second 40 breeder to the system. I'd originally planned to use the second 40 as a sump/fuge, but have had a change of heart. The second 40 will also be a grow out tank, with a CPR Aquafuge on the back of it.

My existing 40 will sit on the existing stand. The stand cannot hold a tank, inside it, so I won't be putting the second tank underneath. Instead, the second 40 will sit next to the existing 40, on a lower stand, made of cinder blocks and plywood...lol. Yeah I know, ghetto, but it's in our basement, out of sight. It's purely for utility purposes and not meant to be a "display" tank at all.

I'll use the HOB overflow to drain water from the upper 40 to the lower 40. I'll use a Mag 9.5 as my return. The Mag 9.5 will be in the lower 40, along with some type of guard, to protect any fish that I put in there. The CPR Aquafuge will hang on the back of the lower 40. Each tank will also have 1 or 2 power heads, for added flow.

The upper 40 will be lit with the 6 bulb Tek5 fixture. I have a ghetto 250MH Spider reflector/socket and a Hamilton ballast, that I'll use to light the lower 40, until I come up with something different.

I also have a 29, that I converted into a sump/fuge, a long time ago, that I'm considering using, but I'm not sure if it's feasible, with the 2 40 breeder system. To use it, I'd have to drill the lower 40, and add an internal overflow of some type. If I were to do this, the upper 40 would drain into the lower 40, which would drain into the 29, that would sit on the floor, where the water would return to the upper 40, via the Mag 9.5. Hmmm.... Any thoughts on this? This would enable me to not have to put the Mag 9.5 in the lower 40 and would also give me the option of adding an in-sump skimmer. It would also eliminate the need for the CPR Aquafuge, thought I could still use it.

My original plan called for the addition of a HOB skimmer, on the side of the lower 40, since the CPR Aquafuge will hang on the back.

So, this is something I plan to start, this week, time permitting. I'd like to at least get the existing 40 moved downstairs. The addition of the second 40 can take place, as I have time. This way, if I do decide to use the 29, I can drill the second 40, before setting it up.

Pics will be posted, as progress is made... :)

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice is always welcome!! Does anyone spot any potential problems?

Sid, I may have a solution for you. Let me see if this work computer has ms paint and I will sketch it. Give me a few :)

Here's is something that just came to my mind that we could possibly brainstorm to see if it will work. Might be something we can build upon. HTH :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hmmm, that would require a totally different stand AND the purchase another CPR HOB overflow.

The second tank will be lower than the first, to allow the first to drain into the second. However, I could still drill the second (lower) tank and then drain it into the 29 sump/fuge, where the water would return to the first (top) tank. Kind of a "stair step" approach....lol.

Hmmm, that would require a totally different stand AND the purchase another CPR HOB overflow.

The second tank will be lower than the first, to allow the first to drain into the second. However, I could still drill the second (lower) tank and then drain it into the 29 sump/fuge, where the water would return to the first (top) tank. Kind of a "stair step" approach....lol.

Yea that can definately work! If you are trying to do it on a simple budget seeing it will just be in the basement, then your approach will be easier/cheaper and more practical. I say go for it :)

Here I have another idea that won't require 2 overflows but will allow you to hook the 2 tanks up at the same level. Let me sketch it out.

Set the breeders next to eachother and drill a hole in the closer side of either one. Connect them together so that the water can run freely from one to another. This way if you have your return in the left tank, water will naturally flow to the right tank and down the overflow to your 29g sump. Sorry for the crappy sketch.

Set the breeders next to eachother and drill a hole in the closer side of either one. Connect them together so that the water can run freely from one to another. This way if you have your return in the left tank, water will naturally flow to the right tank and down the overflow to your 29g sump. Sorry for the crappy sketch.

Not a bad idea at all if Sid is willing to build another stand and drill both tanks. :).

Haha ya the drilling could get dicey :) I figured for the stand though he said he's just using cinderblocks and 2x4s. So throw a couple more on there hehe no big deal

That would work, and it's not a crappy sketch up! Unfortunately, I don't want to drill both tanks. I'd actually rather not drill any...lol....but may drill one.

I already have one stand, that I'll be using, that the existing 40 is already on. The cinder block/plywood stand won't be near as tall.

But thank you for the suggestions, everyone! Keep them coming!

I use a CPR overflow to feed my 20 gallon satellite/fuge from my 120 display. The Satellite/Fuge drains into the sump and gets fed back into the display.

From my experiance with the cpr overflow, I would suggest going with drilling the tanks as opposed to using an overflow. The CPR uses a small nipple where a suction type pump is connected, (Aqualifter is most common). This works well until the nipple gets clogged with algae due to constant exposure to intense lighting from your tank's lights....

I end up having to clean mine out every 4-6 weeks.

Nick

I can confirm what Nick is saying Sid. I had a CPR overflow on my 75gal and had to keep 2spare aqualifters on hand at all times due to mishaps I had. Good thing they are cheap. The aqualifters themselves break down quite a bit. You can get pre-filters for the aqualifters as well, but the all need cleaning periodically (aqualifter pre-filter and overflow). By far, the pre-filters I have in the link below are the best (that particular style) but the only downside to them is they take up a bit more space in the tank as opposed to CPR's. They however never need re-priming unless you remove the u siphon tube for cleaning and doesn't require a pump. http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/ES-PF-300.html

I currently have a CPR Overflow box, that I used for 2 years, on my 75. I did have to clean algae that built up, one time, using a toothpick. The only thing that makes me nervous about them is if the Aqualifter were to go out. However, I'm actually considering running it a bit differently, by plugging the airline tubing into the venturi of a Maxijet, instead. Although, for 2 years, using the Aqualifter, it ran perfectly.

If I do go the route of the CPR Overflow box, that I already have, I probably will buy a fresh Aqualifter, just to be safe.

I did the powerhead thingy originally and it worked great even with the pump sitting all the way in my sump, but it was a dumb JBJ pump I was using and one day I came to the tank and it was swollen and hot as fire!! :eek: That's when I swithced to the aqualifters.

Back