400w or 250w MH for my corals....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

King_Neptune

Skimmer Skuzz
I have two lights to consider right now for my 125 reef tank I'm building.

The tank is 72" x 22"deep. Its 18" wide if that matters.

It is my first system. I am new to the world of saltwater but I have big ambitions. I want a tank that will let me grow anything and everything(provided its comaptible with something already in my tank)

I have a choice beetween two very good light's and need help choosing:

First one:

Looking at a 72inch PFO light for sale.

It is PFOs professional brand with the parabolic reflectors and deeper hood. The hood contains 3x 400 watt metal halide fixtures, 2x 6ft VHO fixtures, and remote ballasts. The hood is black and has tow fans, one at each end for cooling, and there is a protective lens covering to protect the bulbs. $400.

The other one is the same light but 250W version. $500.

My question is simple:

Which one is the one I should buy? I'd like to make my descision based on what is best for my Reef tank. Not the cheaper of the two. Can I harm my tank with the nicer 400W lights? Or will I be fine?

I should also add that I will most likely keep these lights hanging from the ceiling, not inside a stuffy cover.

Last edited:
I have two lights to consider right now for my 125 reef tank I'm building.

The tank is 72" x 22"deep. Its 18" wide if that matters.

It is my first system. I am new to the world of saltwater but I have big ambitions. I want a tank that will let me grow anything and everything(provided its comaptible with something already in my tank)

I have a choice beetween two very good light's and need help choosing:

First one:

Looking at a 72inch PFO light for sale.

It is PFOs professional brand with the parabolic reflectors and deeper hood. The hood contains 3x 400 watt metal halide fixtures, 2x 6ft VHO fixtures, and remote ballasts. The hood is black and has tow fans, one at each end for cooling, and there is a protective lens covering to protect the bulbs. $400.
King I have a fixture from PFO just like this with 250 watt HQI ballest and I have had very good luck with it. With 400 watt you will need a chiller

The other one is the same light but 250W version. $500.

My question is simple:

Which one is the one I should buy? I'd like to make my descision based on what is best for my Reef tank. Not the cheaper of the two. Can I harm my tank with the nicer 400W lights? Or will I be fine?

I should also add that I will most likely keep these lights hanging from the ceiling, not inside a stuffy cover.
How far do you plan on hanging it over the tank?

yes you can burn things, per say, or shock them until they adjust!
With the 400's you want to pay close attention the the more sensitive corals that don't need as much light cause you can hurt them!

Ive had 250s and now have 400's. For that tank Id highly recommend sticking with 250's. You'll save on electricity, heating/cooling issues and it will be much easier to add corals to the tank without acclimation worries.

Ive had 250s and now have 400's. For that tank Id highly recommend sticking with 250's. You'll save on electricity, heating/cooling issues and it will be much easier to add corals to the tank without acclimation worries.

the 400's you speak of are they in the 210 tank in your link?

Yes. Why do you ask?

Duane how high do you have your 400 from the watter surface?
Reason why I ask is that I'm debating on 250 or 400 over a 180 72''x24''x24''. I want to mount them at least 12'' maybe 15'' from water surface. Would the 250s be enough light to reach the bottom of the tank at that height? I would like to stick with 250s for energy cost. What is your opinion on this?

Duane how high do you have your 400 from the watter surface?
Reason why I ask is that I'm debating on 250 or 400 over a 180 72''x24''x24''. I want to mount them at least 12'' maybe 15'' from water surface. Would the 250s be enough light to reach the bottom of the tank at that height? I would like to stick with 250s for energy cost. What is your opinion on this?

im with you on this roscoe, it impacts me descision to purchase lights as well.

Oh yeah by the way Duane I will be using Lumenarcs or lumen brights just to help you out with your opinion.:)

I have lumenarc mini's with Icecap ballasts. The bulbs are 11 inches from the water surface. I have 20K bulbs and have alot of SPS as low as six inches from the bottom. Not just pocilloporas, etc. but Acros as well. With the right bulb and ballast combo, 250's are strong enough for any 24" deep tank IMO. Unless of course, you want only acros from top to bottom of the tank with a 20K spectrum.

Unfortunately I dont have any recent tank pics. My camera just isnt doing what I want lately so Ive quite taking pics of anything and everything.

I have lumenarc mini's with Icecap ballasts. The bulbs are 11 inches from the water surface. I have 20K bulbs and have alot of SPS as low as six inches from the bottom. Not just pocilloporas, etc. but Acros as well. With the right bulb and ballast combo, 250's are strong enough for any 24" deep tank IMO. Unless of course, you want only acros from top to bottom of the tank with a 20K spectrum.

Unfortunately I dont have any recent tank pics. My camera just isnt doing what I want lately so Ive quite taking pics of anything and everything.

Ahhh come on Duane no pics that's no fun!!:badgrin: J/K. I'm going 80% SPS and 20% LPS. Of course the LPS will mostly be on the aquarium floor. So with your 120 you ran 2 250s and that was plenty of light at 11'' off the water surface? If so I think I just might run 250s.

fwiw.

I've got a 72" x 24 deep x 18" wide 135 gallon.

3x 250 watts MH. about 8" off the surface of the water.

PERFECT lighting spread with spider reflectors. Double fixtures just won't do the job over a 6 foot long tank.

Oh, and my 3 x 250 watt M.H set-up is for sale, icecap ballasts, spider reflectors, 5 month old 12K Corallux bulbs.

PM me for more details, I'll ship (take paypal) or you can pick up in Monroe north of seattle.

fwiw.

PERFECT lighting spread with spider reflectors. Double fixtures just won't do the job over a 6 foot long tank.

Oh, and my 3 x 250 watt M.H set-up is for sale, icecap ballasts, spider reflectors, 5 month old 12K Corallux bulbs.

PM me for more details, I'll ship (take paypal) or you can pick up in Monroe north of seattle.

I am fully aware of 2 fixture not covering a 6ft. tank. I never said I was using just 2 fixtures. Also I will not be using spider reflectors. I will be using 1 lumenarc and 2 lumenbright pendant reflectors. Total of 3 fixtures!!

Thanks rocky. I live really close by in spanaway. But the I have already promised a sale to someone else. But who knows...its nice to meet local's mabee youlee spot something I need in the wanted section and have it^^
And one day Ill be up and available for frag trading...although I hear that's a really iffy thing, so I don't want to commit to something like that yet.

fwiw.

For the depth you are talking about, the 250W MH are just fine. 400W will cost you more to operate and the bulbs are more expensive. I assume that these are both moguls. If the 400W are HQI, I would stay away from them due to limited bulb selections and reliability issues. HQIs always have glass coverings over the lens. 250 HQIs are just fine. I use both 250 and 400. The reflectors make a big difference.

Back