40B Hood with MH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Snowboarda42

Cirrhitichthys falco
So I think my next project will be to build a hood for my tank. It's a 40B, I really like the size and look of this tank. Its 36x18x16.

I want to make a hood for it, and upgrade the lighting while I'm at it. The lighting right now is 140W of T-5, and I keep SPS corals, which are doing awesome. But I want better coloring, faster growth, etc. Also, I have fish that have jumpy personalities, and I think this canopy might help out as well.

My dilemna right now is what MH to do. I want to split my 4 T-5 bulbs up (2 Actinic and 2 10K) by putting one set in front and the other in the rear. I will put the MH(s) in the center. I've read that you want a single MH per 2ft of tank length for the best light dispersal. Kinda tough since I have a 3 foot tank.

I've been looking at DIYREEF.COM IceCap 175W Retro Kits. Click Here

Should I do one in the center or two spaced out? And will having 2 MH's be too much lighting?
1 MH will end up being 175+140=315W/40=7.87W/Gallon with an 18" depth.
2 MH's will be 175+175+140=490W/40=12.25W/Gallon with the same tank depth.

Any Input?

I'd opt for one good reflector and move the light up for a better spread along with using a 250w to make up the differnce in moving it up. Also keep heat in mind when designing your hood.

Don

I'd opt for one good reflector and move the light up for a better spread along with using a 250w to make up the differnce in moving it up. Also keep heat in mind when designing your hood.

Don

Thanks Don,

I was thinking about putting one or two fans on each end to help with heat dissapation. I have a few computer fans laying around too. I also have a 6" 120v fan that I don't know where I got. Works great too, maybe I'll use it...

Back