• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

42x42x12 questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

Hey Jason I am building a 42x42x12 frag tank it is cunstructed with 1/2'' cellcast acrylic. I just need to know if it is safe to go rimless or does it need bracing on the top?
(I am using weld on 3)
(the water level will be between 10''-11'' deep)
Thanks...

Matt

Yes, you need at top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you want it to hold water for long...

and by the way, it's not really cool to ask a builder how to build something yourself....Kinda makes the builder useless at that point...Dont ya think????

Wow I see all kinds of people asking mechanics questions about how they can fix their own cars and it seems to me people still go to the shop to get their car fixed and the shop they ussally go to is the one that helped them out with some advice wierd.. I also see all kinds of people on here who dont know as much as others asking questions weather its is asking a fish or clam expert questions about fish or clams or a skimmer expert about skimmers and everyone here so far seems to me more than willing to give out some good advice. Not everyone is going to build their own tanks but some will so unless everyone becomes an acrylic expert I think the tank builder will stay in buisness if hes good...

Last edited:
I really seen no problem with asking a builder questions on any project whether it be construction, mechanics, tank building or what ever else it my be some of us in the hobby enjoy the diy part of it.

[/QUOTE]and by the way, it's not really cool to ask a builder how to build something yourself....Kinda makes the builder useless at that point...Dont ya think????[/QUOTE]

I really doubt that me asking one question about bracing a tank will effect jason's business in any way, I know Jason's work is some of the best and he will never have any shortage of customers (not with the great comments hist customers give him).

after all who was I to ask?
Barry the clam expert?

Not all of us have the tools to build such a thing nor the know how or time and patience.
I just so happen to be proud of my sytem being all DIY....

thanks for the comments..

Matt

Matt I'd go with the top brace. Mine is 3/4 and only 48x18 13 deep and I think thats as big as I could go without.

Don

One advantage of a euro-brace, even if it only extends a couple of inches, is that it reduces the liklihood of splashing water over the top when you work in the tank. Also, it deters (slightly) those dumb snails from crawling out.

Matt, I meant nothing bad on my end; just giving you a little insight as to why you didnt get a responce. (just my 2 cents)I was happy to answer the question for you and wish you the best with the DYI...

mechanics

Wow I see all kinds of people asking mechanics questions about how they can fix their own cars and it seems to me people still go to the shop to get their car fixed and the shop they ussally go to is the one that helped them out with some advice wierd.. I also see all kinds of people on here who dont know as much as others asking questions weather its is asking a fish or clam expert questions about fish or clams or a skimmer expert about skimmers and everyone here so far seems to me more than willing to give out some good advice. Not everyone is going to build their own tanks but some will so unless everyone becomes an acrylic expert I think the tank builder will stay in buisness if hes good...

ya you can ask a mechanic how to fix your car, but is he going to spend the time for free and tell you blo by blo how to do it, I dont think so...and everyone has cars, not everyone has an aquarium..it's a little different..as far as the other examples you gave, they dont pertain to this..

Well as far as I can tell matt was just asking one question and the question he did ask was not for a blow by blow description of how to construct an acrylic tank. and as for the rest that didnt pertain to this it was just a little insight on how this forum has been great for the people to get a good rep and info out there in there professional opnion on what ever the matter may be.. I dont know you and am not going to make this thread about something it is not I was just a little taken back by the response he got. I am not speaking for him but I know 99 times out of a 100 I have gotten some great info out of this forum and alot of good connections for help in all aspects of the hobby.. sorry if I come off rude

Last edited:
by the way matt I just did a rimless diy nano out of 1/2 inch and it worked out great but I think you will need the top I also just had a builder make me a 24x24x 15 cube rimless and it was 3/4 just because of the bigger pannels and the bow factor let me know how it turns out I may be able to give you a hand if you need a second pair setting it up

Lets let this go, the question was answered. I think if matt needs his car fixed and needs advice he will call me and yes I will give him instructions "blow by blow". A little free professional advice should never hurt any business.

Don

Guys!!!!!!

Sorry for not responding as quickly as I usually do. I have been buried (in acrylic shavings) in the shop getting Salsakings 700 ready for pick up. Anyone who knows me will tell you I am totally willing to help anyone with just about anything. I just need 5 hours of sleep..............

Matt,

Wow! What happened to this topic?

With your 42x42x12ish you will need 1" for a rimless tank. 1.25 if you wanted 15".

I would do a 6" border out of .500, and radius each corner for strength.

Make sure everything is square, and have fresh glue, and you will be ok. If you have any problems, just call me. We don't want anybody getting into a throw down. Only if we had an ring, and a few sets of 4 oz. gloves!

Jason

Back