5 damsels=fighting?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

well as you all know I have my new 100 gallon in wall tank running with fish in it now http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15497.
I put 5 damsels in to kick start the tank 2- 3 stripe damsels 2- yellow tail and 1 domino. well they have been in there for almost 2 weeks now and they are down to only 1- 3 stripe and 1- yellow tail. they are killing eachother the water param's are perfect nitrate-0, amonia-0, nitrite-0, ph-8.2, alk 10-dkh. so they must be fighting, they all have torn fins.. well I guess as soon ans they get to the last one then the fighting will stop huh?
anyone one else had these damsels fight and kill eathother this fast??

Matt

I've had 3 chromis together before on my first ever saltwater setup and they were fine...Infact, they never fought at all!

That last one will be a bummer to get out. My 3 stripe was a mean little dude until I added a tomato clown :D strightened him right out.

Yes Damsels are MEAN

I had problems with damsels when i first started out in this hobby. I had a bluefin damsel, a blue damsel, and a yellow damsel. 3 days later just the bluefin lived. I got rid of the bluefin and added 5 green chromis whiched they got along. The 5 green chromis got along with my sand sifting goby, lawnmower blenny, and my 2 clownfish. I then added a six-line wrasse which I needed in my tank and those 5 green chromis did some mob action on my wrasse. That's when I got rid of the chromis and never ever buy damsels again. All damsels are good for is cycling tanks.

yeah I know the chromis are docile, they are a schooling fish, the more of them in a system the happier they are!
the other two wont last long at all now, I just got back from the psas picnic and brought some new additions to take car of the 100 gallon... (volitan lion and clown trigger)

Matt

the other two wont last long at all now, I just got back from the psas picnic and brought some new additions to take car of the 100 gallon... (volitan lion and clown trigger)

Matt

ROFL! Why hurt your head and stress yourself out trying to catch them when you can have fish like lion fish do the work for you:p

Yes it does.

My son had those mean little fish in his tank when he first started.
Bunch of different kinds and they slowly killed each other off. if not for the massive amounts of live rock they had to hide in it would have happened sooner rather than later.

Maui :D

Back