6 month old fowlr tank going planted :-)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

vwrock

Hi everyone I'm new to the hobby about 6-7 months.... I have bout 80 pounds of liverock, juvenile Koran angel, 2 ocelaris clowns, and a three stripe damsel, couple crabs and snails and a pincushion urchin. I'm loving the planted tank looks and wondering what u all recommend for my DT. Also I'm in Graham puyallup area so if any of u have any you would give sell let me know .... anyways I am really interested to hear all of your opinions... and even more excited to get this started. Thanks guys

Welcome to RF. Once your membership has passed the 30 day time period you will be able to get into the classifieds forum to advertize your interest in buying coral.
You may have some issues with coral and that koran angelfish. They are known to nip at sps and soft coral. And clams, just so you know before you spend a lot of money on a clam, to find out the angelfish will probably kill it.
How big is your tank, and what kind of lighting do you have on it?
Theres no reason not to try some coral. Leathers or other soft coral like kenya trees, colt coral, spaghetti corals might work. Mushrooms? Never know until you try.

No no not doing a coral tank..... I want all macro algae..... no corals.... I have 55 gallon with 54w coralife actinic bulb with 10k white bulb.... I don't believe my lighting is good enough for corals... I mean correct me if I'm wrong.... but looking for help with nitrates over time so algae would be the way to go correct?

Last edited:
Oh, Okay, gotcha!
Well, there is Caulerpa Prolifera, Caulerpa Mexicana, Halimedia for green macro. Red Grape (Botryocladia sp.) Red Flame. Oh, you could also do some sponge. Orange fan sponge, or Orange or Red Tree Sponge. There is a blue sponge too, not sure what its called.
This is a cool direction to go with your DT.
Keep us posted on what your doing and post pics too!

On the sponges... my nitrates are 20 ppm is that too high for sponges? Heard they need prestine water conditions ... everything ammonia nitrites and Ph are perfect just those pesky nitrates :)

Some other dt plants you may want to check out are Pine Cone/shaving brush (Penicillus sp.) or Mermaid fan they make nice dt plants.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Back