610 Dead fish, found dumped in Hawaii

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Maybe it's a statement of the loss of tropical fish to amateur hands? There's a small ache in my side when I think of the loss of livestock to Petco employees alone...

The laws for regulating the capture of aquarium fish is extensive. However the license procedure is just an online application which allows anyone with a business license (another onlie application) to get this permit. So though they are making the laws to protect the fish they do very little to make sure the people they give a license to is qualified and understand the importance of what they are about to get into. If you go to

https://dlnr.ehawaii.gov/cmls-public/app/welcome.html

you to can be a collector of fish for a small fee.

One thing they stated in the article though is that this could easily have been an equipment failure. Holding tank problem, quarantine tank issue, etc. I'm not saying it is OK, but to start the gathering of a mob to hang "this guy" is a bit premature. Could easily be an unfortunate event that caused this and was close to unavoidable. It is tragic, but to chastise an unknown person for an event we only know the outcome of is like finding a guilty verdict without any evidence of wrongdoing. I do feel for the fish and the locals that love them so much. It is good to see the people care about their underwater surroundings.

maybe it was that dude that posted here a few months ago about 100 fish he had to store in a 70 gallon tank. Btw what a waste of beautiful fish

I am sad also
BUT system crashes happen to divers too..
He may have just had a tragic event??
I hate to see that many fish die it hurts but accidents happen
Locals have tank crashes and loose all live stock.. what do you do with a 8 " tang
You can't flush ,????????

One thing they stated in the article though is that this could easily have been an equipment failure. Holding tank problem, quarantine tank issue, etc. I'm not saying it is OK, but to start the gathering of a mob to hang "this guy" is a bit premature. Could easily be an unfortunate event that caused this and was close to unavoidable. It is tragic, but to chastise an unknown person for an event we only know the outcome of is like finding a guilty verdict without any evidence of wrongdoing. I do feel for the fish and the locals that love them so much. It is good to see the people care about their underwater surroundings.

+1

Word.

Adam and Reed are absolutely right. This could have been nothing more than a tragic tank crash, which a lot of us have experienced. I didn't post it to point any fingers or blame anyone, but just for discussion.

One thing that really bothered me, if you read the entire story, are the comments that were left by other readers. One can't really blame those other readers for their thoughts and feelings on this issue either. Unfortunately, tragedies like this, paint a very bad picture of the reef keeping hobby, for those who are uninformed.

I agree with Michael, it is a great tragedy but it puts us (the hobbiest) in the spotlight and things like this may cause issues for our hobby down the road. Very sad to see maybe ther should be limits on the number of fish a harvester can have at one time, I mean 610 fish is a LOT.

This was a big loss of life but I have a very hard time thinking a collector that has a live stock of this amount would just out of nowhere kill that many fish. I have to say that it this will for some people put a black eye on this hobby but I don't think that stoning this guy to death is a good idea either.

I have to say that the collectors that I talk to although there are not that many would never do this intentionally.

I have to say that limiting the numbers is something I can see happening to keep a horrible event like this happening again.

IMO of course

Back