72 degrees...wtf?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeffnewt

Barred Morey
My room felt strangly cold tonight, I happned to check out the tank, and both probes were reading 72. everything looked ok, all polyps extended, lps looked great. Seems I have heard before that such a low temp could be very bad. It probably dropped over the course of 5 hours or so. Not sure why, haven't messed with the heater or anything else today.

anyone have problems with their stealth heater?

I didn't have that problem because I don't use a heater but my tank dropped to around 72/73 last winter because I had fans running & not on timers. I need to put them on temp controllers because a single fan makes a huge difference in a cooler room.
I have had short term swings like that, as long as it wasn't sudden as in seconds or minutes, you should be fine, just bring it backup. Invest into a Rancor or Johnson controller & this will likely not happen again.

I have a visitherm stealth and haven't had that problem. Being in the northern cold country I have to have a heater in my tank (in fact I have 2, one for backup) and at times during the really cold months my temp will go as low as 76, I've not had a tank fall as low as 72. I have read about some tanks falling that low. Some have made it, some had issues. Hope yours is ok.

Sorry to hear...The good thing is though that it dropped that low over the course of 5 hours and not an instant change in temp which would be why nothing seemed affected by it. Where the heater itself is concerned, I personally never used one or had the need for one so can't really say. I'm sure others who have used that heater will chime in soon. :)

I threw in a second heater before I went to bed. I am not that worried about it, everything I have has endured quite a bit. I haven't checked the temp yet but It came back up slow so things have been as stressless as possible.

Probably gets alot colder than 72 in overnight shipping containers, and amost everything still survives. I worry much less about low temperatures than I do about high temperatures.

My room felt strangly cold tonight, I happned to check out the tank, and both probes were reading 72. everything looked ok, all polyps extended, lps looked great. Seems I have heard before that such a low temp could be very bad. It probably dropped over the course of 5 hours or so. Not sure why, haven't messed with the heater or anything else today.

anyone have problems with their stealth heater?

How many watt heater, and how many gallon tank?

sounds like somethings wrong?

like the heaters might have failed or arent geting power... are they warm to the touch?

make sure you take your time bringing the temp up.... i mean slowly... over a day would be nice.

Where the heater itself is concerned, I personally never used one or had the need for one so can't really say. I'm sure others who have used that heater will chime in soon. :)

Thanks for reminding us, Krish, that the only snow that you're familier with is Marine Snow.:D

Back