75gal upgrade....what's the right stuff to get?? Suggestions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rycko_427

emerald crab
So for these past 7 months I've been running a 29gal reef tank and it has been awesome, but now I wanna upgrade to something bigger. I was looking into getting a 75gal bow front tank but I have no idea what equipment to get. What would be the right equipment to make the tank run well?? Protein skimmer? Lighting?? etc...I'm also debating whether I should move all my corals and fish into the bigger tank and use the smaller one as a sump but I'm not sure. Any suggestions??

Thanks

I think you made a good suggestion on turning your 29 into a sump for the 75gal granted it has the right foot print. What are the dimensions on it? You'd need it long enough to where you would have sufficient space to house your skimmer (if going in sump) as well as whatever other equipment you might want to put in there. You will have to take into account for the baffles that will have to be placed in there as well to seperate chambers as well as provide a bit of space for a bubble trap. Lighting would all depend on what type of corals you plan to keep. Let us know a few of these things. In terms of skimmers, I'd look in to the Octopus skimmers as they seem to be a popular choice these days. :)

Dimensions of the tank are 30"L x 12" W x 18.5" H...yea I figured that it would be a good idea to do that..I was debating between Octopus Skimmers and another brand, but it seems that a lot of people are going with the Octopus...my new question is, though, I found a larger 250gal tank, so now I'm debating between the two, and if I decide to go with the 250, will the 29gal be big enough for a sump??

Dimensions of the tank are 30"L x 12" W x 18.5" H...yea I figured that it would be a good idea to do that..I was debating between Octopus Skimmers and another brand, but it seems that a lot of people are going with the Octopus...my new question is, though, I found a larger 250gal tank, so now I'm debating between the two, and if I decide to go with the 250, will the 29gal be big enough for a sump??

Haha!! Keep searching!! You may find a 500 gal next :lol:. On the 250, if you can afford to get it and all the equipment it requires to run it (lighting, skimmer etc), then I say go for it!! The bigger the tank the better as you will have more stabilty. As for the 29 gal for a sump for it, it might be on the small side IMO just considering the skimmer and so forth that would be needed to support a tank that size fitting in it (if you went in-sump). I would personally go with a bigger sump, but for the 75gal, the dimensions of that 29 gal sounds pretty good!! :)

What will your new system consist of? Sand bed, LR, skimmer, lights. If you add more LR and LS to your sytem it will need to cycle. The old display will make a great sump/fuge.

I also am upgradeing, but I am trying something that most frown upon. I will be up grading toa 70gal, not my original plan but this will do for now. I currently have a 40gal Tall(20x18x27H), with a DEEEEEP sand bed, 8in deep. Also a 20gal sump and 20gal fuge. And about 80lbs LR. I will be moveing all of my LR and live stock to the new display with very little clean dry sand, and I am using my old display with the DSB as my "new" fuge, puting my macro in, this will leave the DSB and about 15lbs LR with macro. I am reusing all of the old Bio-system, with new equipment (better, bigger skimmer and Lights, more flow, etc...) But my idea is, there should be little to no cycle, because I am really only "adding" more water. Everthing else is already in my current system.

This is what I am doing, not sure what the out come will be, hopefully good. I am waiting for the rest of the equipment to be delivered be for I do the swap.

Octopus skimmers are pretty good, especially if you get the new ones with the sicce syncra pumps,
also look at the SWC cones, aquamaxx skimmers(again the models with sicce syncra pumps),
I prefer both the SWC and aquamaxx skimmers over octopus, as far as the less expensive skimmers,
I'm pretty sure that SWC cant be beat for the amount of design features offered,
the amount of air injected, pump efficency, and build quality. (i can provide info if necessary)
or if you have a little coin and want something fancy, ATB or ATI have some excellent modern designs.

i can recommend exact models when u decide upon a final tank size. :)

Last edited:
Back