760 Gallon Wood Tank Build Plans/Questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The R/C Man

Hey All!

After some thought I have decided to sell my new and unused 375 gallon acrylic tank so I can build a 760 gallon wood tank with a Starphire glass viewing panel. The plan is to double up (laminate together) two pieces of 14ply 3/4" marine grade plywood. This should provide adequate support for the water pressure. Of course the inside of the tank will be lined with fiberglass cloth and coated with epoxy resin. Coloring the interior will be accomplished with food grade epoxy paint. When I built the 375 I installed external overflows and this feature will be added to this tank as well. Were I am at a loss is what to do with the cross braces for the top of the tank. I have considered a euro top (one sheet of ply with cut outs) for support. I have considered an open top with a 6" border and possibly create some type of thin braces attached to the border. Such as powder coated stainless rods with flattened ends that are drilled for screws. I have considered the same rods bent at 90 degree angles so they can be attached to the exterior front and back outsides of the tank to support the pressure more directly. The structure will be assembled using glue and 3” screws placed every 2” along the joints. The stand will be assembled with 2x4’s in a T configuration. My understanding is that the differences of grain direction of the 2x4’s actually create a stronger support than say a single 4x4. The stand and exterior of the tank will be coated with a water resistant coating (still debating what to use). What thickness glass would be recommended for this tank and how large should the wood overlap be? I am thinking a 6” frame should be plenty to support the glass.

Now that you have an idea what I am attempting to do please share your ideas. This will be my first attempt at a wood tank. Thanks in advance!

I am looking at 96x48x40.... It will be a little on the high side. However with 6" boarders around the glass I need the height to have a nice viewing window. Also there will be a 7" sand bed in the bottom that should help the reaching a bit. :) Good thing I am getting ready to take scuba lessons because I will need the snorkle and mask...lol

is this going to be a reef or fish only tank? also what is the advantage of a wood tank? I have seen a build before about a wood tank, it seemed that the cost is cut by 50%, just because the demotions and the glass thinness.

Hey Guys!

Yes it will be a reef. However, I am going for quite a bit of sandy real-estate. Some of my favorite corals are Milliporia. So I would like to have one of each color and let them get huge. So less variety and larger colonies is the over all goal. Fish will be on the smaller side. As much as I enjoy to look as some of the larger species such as Sailfin Tangs, to me they detract a bit from the rest of the tank. As for cost, I am shure it will be less than half and maybe a quater of what an acrylic 740 would cost. All the equipment for my "little" 375 (lol) will be used on the 760 so no extra expense there. Jake, I may take you up on the offer! :D

Mike,

So yes cost per gallon is the biggest reason. The second being that I can build the larger tank on site and not have to remove a huge bay window to get my 375 into the house. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back