80 degree Water Temp?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shamukaiser

My water is running 80.2 degrees; I am using a Velocity T4 pump (runs very hot) I don't even have a heater in... am I okay at this temp for fish, live rock, and maybe a few corals down the road?

I really don't want to invest more dough in a chiller... if need be, I will purchase a cooler running pump....

Let me know what you guys/gals think?

Thanks

Shamu

i had that same pump on mine and had to run a chiller to keep the temp undercontrol. it is normal for that pump to run really hot. I just took it off last week and my chiller comes on rarely now versus every 20 minutes. Personally if it was a fish only its ok but anything other i would not use it. Mine is a back up now.

what ways have you tried to cool?
do you have a sump? fans at wal mart are $9 to $20 that can lower your temp a few.
are your lights in a hood? are they metal halide? you can install a few computer fans in it for around $40.
keeping a few 2 liter bottles of ro or tank water in the freezer, then putting in your sump can kill a few degrees also. a good idea to have one handy for emergencys in the summer too.

80 degrees isnt much to worry about in a reef. Alot of reefers run their reefs at higher temps. In fact I used to run mine at 80 on purpose because corals metabolize protiens faster. Therefore grow faster. The problem with that is, algeas and diseases also metabolize faster therefore growing and/or spreading faster. Also, corals tend to bleach at near 84 degrees. Temps typically climb daily when our lights come on and we use fans and other devises to keep the tanks cool. If something fails there is a smaller temperature saftey net when starting at 80.

So, 80 degrees is fine but, 78 is safer.

80 degress is bad at all. My 240 runs at 79-80.
I've used the Poseidon pumps for years and found the cheapest way to knock off a couple degrees is to get a clip-on fan and run it at low speed pointing to the wet end of the pump.
Just that little bit of air moving across the pump helps.
Some will aim the fan at the sump, and it will also knock down the temp, but it will also increase evaporation.
You could buy a different pump that runs cooler, but you will never find a external pump that runs as quiet.

mine would get close to 90 which is way to high. winter time i was fine. I am now running a little giant 4. prior to getting a chiller i had a fan on the tank and sump running 24 hr and still would not cool it down much. i was floatin frozen milk jugs to keep temp down. i am also running 4ea 110 vho and 1 ea 175w mh. chiller was my only option to keep it at 78-80 with a controller. dont get me wrong the posiden pumps are good pumps but if i would have known they ran hot ... i would have not purchased.

thanks... just bought a Pan World P200 ... my buddy has one and swears by it.. its in the basement so the sound doesn't matter all that much....

80 is fine... if you can hold that temp... year round..

a fan pointed at the sump of the main tank on a timer or temp controller will cool great amounts.... but you will have to compensate with Top off water

Evaporation is a hot tanks friend.,

Back