80 Gallon Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Chichas01

Ixthus
I'm setting up an new 80 gallon custom tank that is being built by Jason at CFI.
Here are the initial specs:

• Display: 81.5 gallons (50x20x20), black background, center overflow w/ 1" main drain and 1" backup, 2 3/4" returns over the top of the overflow (one on each side of the over flow), closed loop w/ 2 intakes on either side of the over flow and returning to 2 spray bars. The CL spray bars will be plumbed through the bottom in front of the over flow and will follow the outline of the overflow and along the back of the tank in a sort of L shape.

• Sump: 29 gallons, separated into 2 sections by 3 bubble trap dividers, Octopus NW 150 skimmer and overflow in the first section, 2 Ehiem 1260 or 1262 pumps for main return and CL in second section.

• Fuge: 20 gallon breeder, 4 inch DSB, LR rubble and chaeto

• Lighting: Probably a single 150 or 175 watt DE fixture with some actinic supplementation

The tank should be done in couple of weeks and I'm building my stand right now which is almost complete. Just need to finish my doors and I'm ready to sand, stain, and paint the inside of the stand. I'm also thinking of applying a marine epoxy/resin to the bottom 5-6" of the inside of the stand for water damage control.

Pics to be posted soon :)

Special thanks to Jason at CFI for taking lots of time and consideration in helping me plan out this tank and my buddy Laith for all his help in letting me use his tools and garage for the last 5 months to build my stand. I couldn't have done this without him.

OK, here are pics of the stand. It's a 2x4 frame wrapped in Meranti hardwood that I found at Crosscut Hardwoods on 1st ave in Seattle. It was intended for decking/flooring use but worked perfect for me since it came tongue and grooved and was fairly easy to use in making panels. The top is just standard 3/4" plywood and the bottom is the same. Hope to have my last door panel glued up today and then I'll be ready to start sanding, staining, and painting.

You can also see the sump/fuge setup I came up with. The sump is the larger tank on the bottom and the sump sets above and slightly over the return section of the sump. The sump stand was welded together with some angle iron my buddy had laying around his work shop.I have just enough room to mount a small fluorescent fixture above the fuge and still be able to add/remove cheato as needed.

Last edited:
80 gallon build - more pics

Well, the stand is put together. I'm just finishing up the staining and painting portion.
Here are some pics:

An the tank will be picked up from Jason at CFI this Saturday!:D

Holy crap man! Five months?
I can't talk though, I've been sitting on a half complete canopy for at least that long.
Nice looking stand there, that's some pretty wood! Do you know where it comes from? Can't wait to see the plumbing, sounds interesting.

Not sure where the quote on '5 months' came from, but ok.

The wood is Meranti and I found it is also know as Philippine mahogany.
I started the stand back in May of 08 and just really got rolling with it all in the last couple of months. Got a baby on the way (my other project) so I figured i better finish it fast before I'm out of money:lol:

I'm setting up an new 80 gallon custom tank that is being built by Jason at CFI.
Here are the initial specs:

• Lighting: Probably a single 150 or 175 watt DE fixture with some actinic supplementation

• Only 150 watts for 80 gallons? I went with 1000 watts ( 2 x 400w MH and 2 x 96w PC) over my 100 gallon and could not be happier with my decision. I have enough light to grow any coral anywhere in the tank and I can already see new growth.

Only 150 watts for 80 gallons? I went with 1000 watts ( 2 x 400w MH and 2 x 96w PC) over my 100 gallon and could not be happier with my decision. I have enough light to grow any coral anywhere in the tank and I can already see new growth.

20 inch deep tank? 150 will work fine.

20 inch deep tank? 150 will work fine.

I agree. I may add a second 150 in the future if it seems neccessary, but any high light demanding corals I would put in the tank will do fine in 20" of water and would probably be placed in the top 10" anyway.

Picking up the tank tonight! Hope to have pics posted by tomorrow.

Also, I'm in need of 2 Eheim 1262's if anybody has a spare they are looking to sell as well as a Lumen max 3 pendant. Anyone have these available for sale?

So I've been a bit busy with my other 'build project'. She was born last week and she is way cooler than any reef tank I could imagine:

Ok! New pics of the tank and stand:
DSC_0382-82K.JPG

DSC_0381-82K.JPG

DSC_0388-82K.JPG

DSC_0387-82K.JPG

I'm also in need of some assistance drilling out a hole in my fuge tank that will go in the stand. Anyone out there able to help me drill that out? I can do the drilling if you are willing to let me use the bit. Any takers?

Back