90 gallon: Stand on wheels

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Cajun Reefer

I'm about to do some overhauling to my aquarium which will include drilling for a sump as well as a closed loop system. While my fish (no coral at this time) are in my quaratine tank for a few weeks, I will basically be tearing down the tank in order to drill it. While doing so, I've come up with the idea of possibly installing 4-6 wheels (1 on each corner & maybe 2 in the middle) on the bottom of my stand to facilitate the easy moving of the aquarium from the wall to work on the plumbing should there be a problem. If it is not possible, how do y'all work on the plumbing when it's against the wall?

Has anyone been successful in doing this? I'm of the understanding that just the aquarium filled with water will weight approximately 1050 lbs. The stand is made of oak and is approximately 50.5" x 19.5". If it is feasible, any idea what wheels I should use and from where can I get them?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

You need to make sure that your stand can take the stress of having 4-6 pressure points versus the weight spread accross the whole bottom of the stand. also can your flooring take it.

Not sure if the stand can handle 6 pressure points. The weight of the tank is held by the four corners, the sides, and one center post in the front separating the two doors. The back is open with no center brace. Flooring is tile with a slab foundation, no basement.

If you built up the bottom with plywood, I think you could get away with it, but to mount wheels directly I think you are looking a major failure.

I think that it might just be better to call a buddie over when you want to move it so that when it is actually set up, there is no way for stand failure (hopefully).
JMO
good luck

-augustus

Alrighty...I was hoping to find a way to just drain half of the tank(below bulkheads) to work on the plumbing. But I guess it'll have to be pretty much a full drain before it can be moved. Thanks for the help, guys.

Back