92 gallon corner- lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Accipiter

Hi!

I'm having trouble findig an appropriate lighting-fixture for a 92 gallon bow front corner tank. Dimensions: 87 cm to the front from the 90 degree corner, similar on the other side (I suppose you get what I mean), and 61 cm in height. DSB in the bottom, which in truth means that the tank's about 50 cm in heigth..
Yeah, a standard corner tank really.

Here's my problem:
I can't find any suitable lighting-fixtures at 300 W (or a bit less) which fits in this small area. I've been searching for several hours a day in over a week. I'm thinking about T5 and/or LED, considering the cost. I'm going to keep generally soft corals, some mushroom corals and zooanthids; Corals which don't need that great amounts of light, basically.

So if you got experience with this, I would be pleased with your help!

Regards Accipiter (from Scandinavia, a reef-keeper among the teenagers)

First off, Welcome to Reef Frontiers, Accipiter!!

Let's see, from what I'm reading, you will probably need to hang a fixture, rather than having a fixture that sits on the tank rim, since this is a corner tank. I'd suggest either a T5 fixture or a couple Metal Halide Pendants in 250W.

It looks like your tank, at the front, is 48" wide (122 cm). However, with it quickly narrowing towards the back of the tank, a 36" fixture would probably work just fine. A 36" T5 fixture, with 6 bulbs, would be a good choice. It would also allow you to grow just about anything you want, in that tank. A Sunlight Supply Tek5 or Sunlight Supply Tek5 Elite, would both be great fixtures, at a reasonable price.

The other option would be (2) 250 watt Metal Halide pendants, hung over the tank. This would also allow you to grow anything you want.

Hey Accipiter, Welcome aboard!!!

One more option beyond what Michael stated above is a VHO system with a Ice-Cap driver. With these you can run different length bulbs on a single driver ie: 46.5", 36", 33.5" and a 24" or similar to cover the atypical shape of corner aquaria. Or as Michael said using T5-HO paired in similar lay-out.
Good Luck and keep us posted as to what you find available.

Todd

Thank you very much for helping me! I'm going to buy the Sunlight Supply Tek5!!! I'll post you later on!

Thank you both! Hopefully the tank is fully set up before christmas! :D

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you picked a good light. With the odd dimentions of a corner bowfront, LEDs might be something to think about as well!

Must be a glitch! If it happens again on any other thread send me a pm and I'll look into it further. You should be able to edit your post up to atleast 60 mins I think after making the initial post. :)

Sorry for the derail :oops: :D

Must be a glitch! If it happens again on any other thread send me a pm and I'll look into it further. You should be able to edit your post up to atleast 60 mins I think after making the initial post. :)

Sorry for the derail :oops: :D

Thanks, I won't worry about it, but will let you know if it happens again. Keep up the good work!:)

Hi!

I'm having trouble findig an appropriate lighting-fixture for a 92 gallon bow front corner tank. Dimensions: 87 cm to the front from the 90 degree corner, similar on the other side (I suppose you get what I mean), and 61 cm in height. DSB in the bottom, which in truth means that the tank's about 50 cm in heigth..
Yeah, a standard corner tank really.

Here's my problem:
I can't find any suitable lighting-fixtures at 300 W (or a bit less) which fits in this small area. I've been searching for several hours a day in over a week. I'm thinking about T5 and/or LED, considering the cost. I'm going to keep generally soft corals, some mushroom corals and zooanthids; Corals which don't need that great amounts of light, basically.

So if you got experience with this, I would be pleased with your help!

Regards Accipiter (from Scandinavia, a reef-keeper among the teenagers)

When I had this tank - I had a 250W MH single pendant, as well as a 36" 150W MH/PC combo hood unit hanging above. I was able to grow anything.

But given the advancements in T5s today, I would either do a DIY LED build so you can spread the lights out evenly above the whole tank (that is what I didnt like about the tank, impossible to get even light coverage, I had to be specific about what corals went where) - or get a 250MH and a pair of 24" T5 hoods - one in front and behind the MH. The MH will light the whole middle of the tank, and you would be using the T5s to light the "edges"

Back