A couple of questions.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

newlyreefd

I have a couple of questions. One, can anyone suggest a pump to pump salt water from my 20G Brute to my tank for a water change? It is about 4 1/2 feet from the bottom of the Brute to the top of the tank. Two, I would like to mark my Brute in 1 gallon increments. If I were to use a permanent marker to mark the inside, would I risk contaminates entering my system. Do you have any other safer suggestions for me to achieve this? Thanks.

Maxi jet 900-1200 would handle that easy. Most pumps will give you head loss specs. Sorry I can't help with the container idea. I use a 5g food grade container that has the G/L measurements on it already. Got it from GFS.

I personally wouldn't be overly concerned about the permanent marker.. but you could also get a 1/2 pvc pipe and drill a hole for each increment. Or use the permanent marker and only put it in the container when you need to measure, or not mark it at all and just have keep a chart/key to refer to based on where the water level reaches.

I use mag 9.5's to pump water from my 44 gallon brute containers. They are a great pump for this with lots of head. For a smaller container, something like a mag 5 would be great.
I use a 32 gallon brute container for water changes on my 50 and I did use a permanent maker to put 5 gallon lines on the inside.

I use mag 9.5's to pump water from my 44 gallon brute containers. They are a great pump for this with lots of head. For a smaller container, something like a mag 5 would be great.
I use a 32 gallon brute container for water changes on my 50 and I did use a permanent maker to put 5 gallon lines on the inside.

Yeah but for the purpose an mj would be a LOT cheaper ;)

Back