A decent nano skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jetmech

Hey all,
I have a 14 gal. bio cube that my daughter and I set up. For a skimmer, we currently have an Oceanic nano skimmer and I have tried everything to get some nice, dry dark green nasty skimmate. This seems to be beyond this skimmers capabilities! So, what do y'all have in your nano tanks for skimmers? I have read so many advertisements and such and I just want to hear from people with real life experience. I just want a decent skimmer that can be tuned so it produces a dry, dark skimmate. The one I have seems to make nothing, or a very watery, light green "tea" looking skimmate, and I know that there was garbage to skim since during the cycle, I checked and the nitrates were WAY HIGH so there was plenty of disolved organics to deal with. So, let's hear from some of the nano gods and whatcha run!
Thanks,
Bill

Lol the nano goods have sumps, or have very good hob skimmers. Or run a tunze 9003. I've heard really great things about them, and one bad. Which is an easy mod. The aquamaxx hob skimmer is good. What you can do is get a better pump. I'm about to get a whisper 300. Which is for deep water. But really just pumps out more air. But isn't loud. I also elongated the reaction chamber I think the biocube reaction chamber is 6" I made it 9", but I cut it down. Which I figured I shouldn't have. Lol. I went to petsmart And bought a medium size gravel vacuum that uses acrylic for the vacuum. And used that for my longer reaction chamber. Your trying to allow the bubbles to have more contact time with the water. Also soak the new wood stones in RO/DI water for an hour, kinda shortens the break in period.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Don't get red sea wood stones, the 3"-4" limewood stone is What ya want. And you want the bubbles going to the top of the black lip where the collection cup rests. Not spilling over. Wanna put the skimmer where the water level doesn't get effected so much. Unless your going to be there to top it off, or diy ato. This is just what ive learned. And I own a jbj 28 gal. And have the same skimmer.

Here's what I get using the Hydor Nano skimmer. An ATO is a must have for surface skimming though. Like with most nano skimmers they all tend to run wetter then normal.
This is 2 days worth.
6c5b834d-5429-7d68.jpg

same advice here...
get a luft pump, and good air stones...
a new luft pump in working order, IS NOT LOUD,
and try sander brand german airstones.
prolly available at marine despot or premium aquatics.

or try a decent hob skimmer like the cpr aeroforce

Lol he has a 14 gallon tank. The mod should work fine, and It's cheaper. I agree with the bigger pump.

I have a 28 gal JBJ nanocube and use the JBJ skimmer. It works like a charm. Just have to keep up on the airstones. THe Tunze nano skimmer is way to hard to dial in. I would like to see a Hydor skimmer in action though. Keep on your water changes on the 14 gal and test often for your parameters.

Back