A few questions about Tunze

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shallowreef

I don't know if many of you use Tunze due to their costs but i do know that some of you do. Now I have talked to my LFS's and have heard that they are great and i've also heard that they are over rated. I also heard that without the controller they're too much. Right now i have to SEIO820's and a Maxijet1200 on a Red Sea Wavemaker. I have seen some improvement in my acros opening up more during the day and i'm wondering if it will get even better with Tunze.

Now for my questions:

1. I have a 90gal and am wondering if i were to go with Tunze how much would it cost me with two powerheads and a controller?

2. How many powerheads would i need for my tank?

3.Where can i buy these the cheapest?

4.Are they worth every penny?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Tunze are awesome. I love the difference mine makes. With a sea swirl and a tunze, the torch coral in the very middle of my tank blows to the right, back up to the rock wall, then to the left, then kinda stops, then back to the right, but there is no set pattern, because the tunze controller is set to high, then low, and the seaswirl has a totally different pattern. All areas of the tank are swept with currents, except the area directly under the tunze and seaswirl. That is a kinda of low flow spot that the frogspawn, mushrooms, and bubble coral love.
Yes I think Tunze are worth it. Absolutley must have the controller though.

if money is an issue you can buy one at a time. on the side of the blue driver box there is a minimum maximum adjustment and can be turned down to 30% with a small screw driver. it can run like this forever and can be adjusted for your tank. if you have sand in your tank I would probably go with a 6000. they are serious and will last for 10 years or better. that is what they are designed for when they are controlled not staying steady without a controller. I would think logically they would last even longer not controlled. the seio's are nice for the money but by time you change shafts a time or two a year for 10 years and replace motors and all you might as well do less maintenance and buy a tunze. I used them in my 180 to create a 3/4 inch wave with the 7095 controller. tried to do the same on a 4 ft tank and couldn't make it happen but I only messed with it for about 5 minutes.

Thanks so far for all the replies. I just got an E-mail from a friend of mine who said that Reef Centrals has a 90 SPS tank of the Month. He uses two 6100 Tunze and a controller. That is exactly what i would like to do with my tank.

I have a Tunze stream on my 90 gal and love it! Infact I just ordered another one last week from Premium Aquatics and should have it tomorrow/Friday. I also, have (2) of the Seio's like you have (820 gph each). They both IMO are great powerheads. I guess the Tunze seems a lot better to me becasue the one I have is 1600 gph by itself so it would be hard to compare the two without a single 1600 gph Seio. The Tunze I have now is 1600 gph full blast (without the controller) Works fine for me that way, but I ordered the next one with the controller and will be 1850 gph. I'll let ypou know how that one works out for me when I get it hooked up. Nevertheless, yeah, the Tunze is expensive, but you just can't beat the flow and options you get from one. HTH and best of luck!

P.S BTW...If you love the Seio's did you know that Premium Aquatics have them up to 2600 gph? It's also under $80.00! Which means you can get about 10,000 gph of flow out of (4) 2600 gph Seio's for around the price of a single Tunze (1850 gph) with controller!

Hmmm....I'll have to think about that but thanks Krish!! It seems like ever since i started doing SPS i've started to hate my tank more and more. It just keeps costing me more money and i keep getting no results. I think i'm going to do some more investigating on these Tunze powerheads before i lay out anymore cash. Please though if you know anyone who has Tunze to stop by and add their two cents to this thread.

Back