A Few Questions - Feeding, Ozone, Mixed Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I always like to precede these posts...after two years I find that there are so many more questions than answers...maybe if I stopped reading so much I would not be bothered with all these questions!

Everything here is in a 180G tank under dual 400W MH lighting with ~40X flow rate.

===QUESTION 1===
I am curious about mixed coral types in a tank; mainly at the level of soft, LPS and SPS. Reading though the threads I see that things like leathers, green star polyps and other soft corals can create problems in a tank when mixed with SPS. I am hoping to learn not only what are the dangers to the corals in the tank when mixing in a reef, but also what is a good mix, if there is at all, between these three main types.

Today we have a wide mix of corals including soft corals (Zoanthids, Xenia, green stay polyps [which I already have read to be bad], and Protopalythoa), LPS corals (two Euphyllia - a "frog spawn" and a "hammer", an Alveopora, Caulastrea, a Favia, a Goniastrea [I think] and a Leptoria) and then a handful of small SPS's including Montipora, Acropora, Seriatopora, and Pocillopora).

Some of the LPS and soft colonies are on the larger side where as all the SPS are still frags of 2 to 3 inches on average.

We aren't seeing any problems today but I would like to be aware of what may cause problems down the road...we would like to have a healthy tanks for years to come.
===QUESTION 1===

===QUESTION 2===
I understand that Ozone is an addition to any system that can assist with the removing of unwanted nutrients in a system, similar to skimming. But what is the configuration, how is it set up...through the skimmer, a Ca reactor, individually? Also, is Carbon a necessity with Ozone? Is there a point at which someone should consider ozone (load, age, etc) or is it simply a mechanism one can use to reduce some of the maintenance?

Just wondering if this is something I should be considering as I try to move forward with the tank...basically is my water quality going to require it as the tank continues to mature.
===QUESTION 2===

===QUESTION 3===
Feeding - a continued mystery! Of course we feed our fish but I read so much about feeding of corals...to do or not to do. I've read that for colonies to survive they should get what they need from the lighting, 90% of their needs come from sunlight. I have also read that for colonies to live long and successful lives they really do need some feeding.

Here in lies one of the complexities I am facing as I know all of the corals have specific particle size and food types they prefer...and there seems to be no catch-all food. Today I am feeding with Oyster Eggs and Reef Nutrition "Phyto Feast" - I feed only once per week and about half the recommended feeding amount.

Everything seems happy and healthy...things are growing (some like weeds) but I want to make sure I have the right mix of lighting/feeding to maintain and develop our reef for years to come.
===QUESTION 3===

We are getting ready to put the tank on "lock down," adding no more animals to the tank and letting it take the time to grow...the last thing I want is an overstocked tank that outgrows itself before we have time to truly enjoy it. I also want to make sure we have the right mix of simplicity and complexity...there are so many ways to pour money into this hobby and we would like to be able to make all of our money well spent vs. spending money on stuff that is just bells and whistles vs. adding value to the system.

Thanks again to all in advance and please note that for as many answers I get in the thread it will only generate twice the number of questions. :)

1) soft corals and algae are the most chemically noxious by far... they really have no place in a dedicated sps tank long term or in any significent quantity
2) yes...ozone is very helpful for reducing allelopathic concerns, and it must be used with a controller and carbon changed frequently in small amounts (please see my sticky atop this forum called "Fav links" and scroll down to the post in it called "discussions" for more on ozone)
3)feeding must be heavy for most corals... it is uncommon that a coral gets 90% of its needs from light (acros do for example... but little else). You should presume to feed several tiny feedings daily. A mix of phyto and zoo but mostly zooplankton. I liker to use substitutes like cyclop-eeze, coral-frenzy(.com) and some live phyto (I buy/recommend DTs for nutritional quality over home-grown)

Back