A new light question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

markglover

I just installed a new 48" PC with 8-LED Blue Moon lights (4-Duals), 4 - 65 Watt bulbs - (2) 12,000K daylights and (2) 03 true actinics. I can control each set of lights with a timer. What should my time rotation be for a 55 gallon tank? Do the actinics come on first in the morning? then do the daylight lights come on? do the actinics and daylights run at the same time? Would love some advice

Thanks!

it really doesn't matter... i had that same setup a long time ago on my 72g.. i ran all of them at the same time... the actinics are just for looks mostly

the times of the lights usually based on the aquarist's schedule, so you can see your tank when you get off work! Depending on what inhabitants you plan on having, 12 on 12 off is pretty common, although I run mine longer than that.

I turn on my actinic first, then turn on the non actinic about an hour after (both are on at this time, then turn the non-actinic off about an hour before i turn off the actinic.

Ronj is right, actinics are mainly for looks, but that is why I have them run on their own for a bit, cause they look way cool to me :)

I am sure others will chime in soon!

I have the same lighting and I turn my antics and daylights on at the same time. And when my antics and daylights turn off my led moon lights come on. I have the coralife power center digital timer. Right now I have antics and daylights on for 10 and led moon on for 14.

Everyone says that actinics are just for looks.. Is that it? Do they not serve any other perpouse to aquarium life other than making the water in the tank look sweet?

deep water corals may like the blue end of the light spectrum, but corals closer to the surface need 6k-10k.... the blue light can affect the color of certain corals. it can bring out different colors in some of them. coralline algae definitely seems to like the blue better.

I see.. what would be a good combo if i like blue? I have a 4 x 54 t-5 setup. I'm talking about colors and kelvin.

2 actinic
2 daylight 10,000

or is it better to switch it up? like

1 - 460 actinic
1 - 420 actinic
1 - daylight 10,000k
1 - reef white 6,500k

Or does it matter? I'm not a lighting expert and I dont really understand it.. Maybe I'm just thinking to hard about it, but if there is a combonation that would benifit my tank better, then I would like to know if anyone has any ideas..

Back