About ready to throw the flag in. This is making me insane.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tat2z_21

tat2z_21
So as the title says more trouble. I have been messing around with the plumbing on this damn 180 ever since I got it. 4years with an external overflow and no issues. Less then one year and 2 floods, almost near disaster's and well redoing the plumbing again and again, again. This is really starting to make me angry.

So to let you know a little. I had the right overflow would not match the flow of the left which the result of that is water on the floor. So after messing with it for about 2 months I ended up just tearing out the plumbing and redoing it. Well now it is the left side that is doing it. Water is going through it just not as much as it should. Probably only around 50%.

If there is anyone out there that has had this happen before can you give me an insight on what it might be. And how you prevented it from happening again.

Throttle back your return pump or swap out to a smaller one. Appears you are pumping more than the overflows can handle. Often, you can open up the grating cover as in remove some "fins" to allow easier flow.

Well that would be a good thought process and I would agree ,except this tank has been running for almost a year with it wide. Open. The left overflow is not draining properly but the right one is.

did you check those valves that you use for the air inlets? i just cleaned mine out and made a huge difference. also take the top part of the standpipe off and see if there is algae in there i know i had a ton in mine too

Well that would be a good thought process and I would agree ,except this tank has been running for almost a year with it wide. Open. The left overflow is not draining properly but the right one is.

Is it possible your missing a good size snail?
You said the right side was not running right and you took the plumbing apart, redid it and now the left side is not running right, if I understand it correct.
Your overflows are the standard built in overflows with a single standpipe in each one? They should both have the same overflow capabilities. Did you swap the standpipes from the right to the left? Just ruling out the standpipes. Theres no reason they should be different in the flow rate.
Your overflow drain lines are running out the wall into the garage correct? Is there any distance of that line that is running level or up hill to the sump? Or are there any 90 degree turns. These could be causing back pressure maybe. Do the two overflows run together to a single line running to the sump? How are they connected if they do?

Oh, I thought I saw built in overflows in your tank. I wasnt paying that much attention to that. I am guessing it is a continuous siphon, not the U tube type?

you have the aga 180....have you tried full siphon on the 1" and emergency on the 3/4 (do it on both sides----same way as mwalker 125 6' aga) run your return up the back side

Hey Floyd, with experiencing way to many plumbing floods to count my best guess is that there is blockage in the form of trapped air somewhere. If you can run airline tubing down the overflow this might releave the issue ??? Give me a call when you get a chance.

Cheers, Todd

P.S. Another option would be to shut/close the valve on the working standpipe thereby forcing a full stream down the other to flush out any trapped air.

Last edited:
If "trapped air" can stop an overflow, it is severely flawed.
I have always drilled a small hole in the top of the durso with a piece of air hose sticking above the water line.
I suspect the line is either too long with insufficient drop or is plugged.

Sorry guys, my computer got a virus, my tank is overflowing, and kids can smell stress. So they have been running around like little heathens. My reference to the external overflow was with my 75 gal. I had that for 4 years and no issues. Through all of my genious moments I did not equip this set of plumbing with valves. So I tried to snake the lines with no luck, damn 90 is preventing that from happening. I tried to do the airline trick and had no luckcould not get it past the 90 as well. hopefully I will not come home to a gigantic mess.

I drilled a 1/4" hole in the top of the cap on my standpipe. Air excapes from it and I have never had an issue with slow flow or the flow not starting or any flooding from the tank.

I think we all need to just go over to Floyds house this weekend....hopefully he makes it till then....and figure this thing out.

this is what the top of his standpipe looks like this is a picture of mine but his is set up the exact way
photo-1.jpg

Hmmmm, his is full open too? There must be air getting trapped later in the run.

Is the plumbing into the sump submerged?

Last edited:
Hey this is Floyd, I had to have Kris set up an account because it seems like my computer has blocked my reefgeekism. An intervention I think. For some reason when I log in it says that internet explorer has found a problem and needs to restart. I will try to get pictures on here soon.

Back