above tank sump success!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

balogh03

I just thought that i would share my success with you guys because nobody but my dad understands how cool this is. The tank is a 230gal glass tank that isnt drilled so I siliconed overflow box's inside the tank and then put pumps inside those. It then goes up above the lights into my sump wich has 2" drains back down to the tank. The reason i did this was because it is impossible for it to overflow! Let me know what you think.
View attachment 13639 View attachment 13640

(by the way, look for my oceanic 70 for sale. it needs to go!!)

Nice setup! I love the way it looks. I think it is a smart idea too! But won't the tank overflow if you were to lose power?

Clever idea. I guess that means your display is actually your sump in terms of flow. I assume the reason it doesn't overflow in a power outage is that you have chambers or an overflow in your above-tank sump that will only drain a modest amount into your display once the pumps stop (just like a traditional tank setup).

Weight isnt a issue because the frame(maple) that wraps around the tank sits a little higher than the glass and so it is taking all the weight instead of the actual tank. And for the sumps, they are chambered so that only about a gallon can flow out of each. By the way my dad was the one that made the cabinet.

Very cool!

I think an enjoyable side effect will be seen in the natural live foods comming from the fuge not getting chopped by pumps.

the refuge getting food to the fish is really cool like was stated. ANyone in seattle can remeber phil and shelly talso. they had their tanks like that also.

balogh03 said:
I just thought that i would share my success with you guys because nobody but my dad understands how cool this is.

Now that is one sweet set-up! And as someone who is playing with the 'gravity fed' refug idea, I like what others have said about not chopping up all little critters running through a pump to get into the display. Real nice, Man!

That is a Sweet setup brah.
I hope no one gets crazy at the pool table and hits one off really hard.
That would bite bad.
Keep the pics coming!

yah, we play soft shots only for the pool table! nothing like having 230gallons flow threw your house.

if anybody needs a cabinet built, you can contact me. that was probly the nicest cabinet my dad has built for a fish tank!

Back