Acans changed colors?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jgalvin

Hi, my tank has been up 7 months now, i bought two acan frags a while back. One was deep deep maroon red (about 5 heads/mouths), the other was electric pink/white (about 3 heads). I thought it'd be cool to put them close to one another. Over the past 6 months they have grown together and both have changed color to a pale orange/red (so have about 12 of the same color now).

Didn't know this was possible, anyone else experience this with their acans?

Acans don't like much light. I have found that they show thier best color in low-medium light. Some often turn a solid orange/red color in high light.

I keep mine in direct light, but toward the bottom. I have heard many times of acans just turning red/orange when over exposed to light.

I had 2 of my rainbows turn almost a solid orange and red. I placed them both in the shade and the colors are slowly coming back but in some cases it never turn back to the original colors.

thanks for the replies! they are up higher in my tank, but they seem so happy (big and growing), do you think if i split them apart and move them lower that their colors will return?

Back