Acclumating to the Light

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lone Wolf

I purchased several sps corals frags and have had them in a prop tank with a 175 watt MH. They were in the prop tank for about 6 weeks while I finished up my 180 gal reef tank. The 180 gal reef tank has 3 - 400watt MH's and 8- T5's. My corals lost some color while in the prop tank. I want to acclumate them to the brighter light (400watt MH) without causing bleaching, etc. I'm starting out with the 400 MH at 3 hrs per day for two days and then adding 15 minutes every two days until I work it up to 8 hrs per day. Does that seem reasonable or is there a better way. I appreciate your help. Duane

Some use it, but I would argue that blasting a coral with all that light, even if its for a much shorter time, can cause bleaching issues.

The best way I have seen is to take 4 layers of screen material, and put them over your tank to block out a portion of the light. Every 3 days you can take one layer of screen off. This will slowly ramp your corals up to the higher par level, rather then blasting them with all of it at once.

Peace

Ya, even after only two days, I am seeing some bleaching. So, when I use the screen, do I up the time to 8 hrs per day or keep the time duration lower? I really appreicate the help and wisdom. Duane

Thanks jezzeaepi and Kevin, I appreciate your help. Screen goes on today. Kevin, I am planning to come to Spokane toward the end of the month (weather permitting). I want to pick up a couple new frags from you. Thanks again, Duane - Lewiston, Idaho

Back