Acro eating shrimp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dr. Dee

Free your mind
Kevin this is a picture of a shrimp that was found in a acro and he has killed two full colonies of acro's already.Have you ever seen this little :evil: #$#@ before?:idea:
aacroshrimpge1.jpg

I do not buy it at all :D. Never heard of a shrimp that eats corals, although some commensal shrimp feed off the mucus. The claw structure is that of a snapping shrimp and it may be a jev, due to its shape and large eyes.

Yeah Boomer i was thinking that it was a commensal shrimp,Pontonia pinnae.I notice the unequal development of the claws.Maybe his a$$ was at the wrong place but at the right time:D

Last edited:
The shrimp I have seen in SPS and LPS type corals are pistol type that only host in the coral causing little damage. Somtimes they kill off a small area where they live but overall they are harmless to the coral.

The one you have pictured I have not seen before. The ones I have seen have a back end that looks more like a tiny lobster.

Regards,
Kevin

Dr where did you get his name form that does not exist ? :D Pontona pinnae. Goggle or I, can not find a name even remotely close to this

Pontonia pinnae is an obligate commensal only found in pinna bivalves. This one is neither an alpheid (although it snaps) nor a pontoninae. Most likely it's a small Coralliocaris or a related genus. For an adult see http://www.vanaqua.org/aquanews/field/images/yaqara.htm

This is a coral commensal which can be found on various species. It's thought to feed on mucus & trapped particulates.

Always a pleasure to talk inverts. :D I don't check this forum unless someone sends me a PM so let me know if something else interesting or puzzling comes up.
Cheerio, Leslie

i just found the same exact shrimp in the bottom of my dip bucket..i am halfway through an Interceptor dip for 2 acros..i just looked in and saw it...i remembered seeing this thread...is it going to be harmful??? i am wondering if it will even survive the entire dip anyways

Back