Acrylic tank 72"L X 36"W X 24"H

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

abmxdad2

OK so I have a friend that's going to make me a tank 72" long X 36" wide X 24"high... Should I go with 1/2" or 3/4" Acrylic I could do 1" also ???
Also what are your ideas on the overflow should I go with one or two ?
I already have a 45g sump & a 60g Acrylic tank I'm going to use as a refugium. I'm thinking about using two sumps as I do have a 40g sump ? Any input would be great as this will be first real big setup & hopefully the only one :)
Thanks

If you are set on it being the " ONLY " one then I would suggest using the 1'' thick material, but the 3/4'' will work. The 1/2'' is out of the question.
The overflow will depend on what depend on what you plan to do with the tank. High flow?? Low flow?? How many sides viewable?? Rock work???

Be sure your friend uses a wide euro-brace because of the 6' span

You have heard it straight from the MAN. This guy knows his Acrylic!!

Only drawback I can think of with that thick of acrylic is if you choose to use Ecotech Vortec pumps, the only one you would be able to use is the MP60. There is a guy around here that put and MP40 on 1" and it over a period of time had worn a pocket into the material. It was caused by vibration as the setup wasn't grabbing sting enough.

Back