Adding Sand and Shrimp questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

elvis

I was thinking of adding more live sand to my tank. Its been up and running for 3 months. The sand is only about 1.5" deep. Anyone have a technique to add sand to an established tank?

Also, I added a Peppermint shrimp to my tank a few days ago. When I get a close look at it, it looks like it may have eggs or something under its tail. Am I seeing things? Whatever it is it looks pretty thick. If thats what it is, any chance of survival? I have about 4 fish in the tank. I'm assuming the fish will feast on them soon if that what it is.

thanks

E

ON the tail of the shrimp if little green yellow dots and held in the swimmerettes they are probley eggs. If white and inside the central body probley parisite. On the sand if it is live sand I have done it with no ill effect. I stirred it into the existing sand. Let me back up. I have only done it with bags of aragalive sand. Never with sand I bought out of a tub at LFS or online. If you are going to use aragalive it worked for me no problem. But I was very new when I did it and it may of been the wrong thing to do, it seemed like a good idea at the time and nothing died or even looked sick. HTH Steve

why would you want to go deeper the deeper the sand the harder to keep clean

Hey about the sand I just added about a 1/2inch to a inch to my girlfriends tank last month using sand form my tank.We just removed it while doing a water change on my tank and added the sand to hers about a cup at a time.No real problems except some spooked fish from a snow storm that hit them from a dropped cup of sand in front of a powerhead.Nice to see someone besides me from memphis.

why would you want to go deeper the deeper the sand the harder to keep clean

The main reason for wanting to add a more sand, the lfs here has live sand that is black and white. I can't remember where it is from but it looks really good in the tank. I would also like a little deeper sand bed for the critters to stir around in.

ON the tail of the shrimp if little green yellow dots and held in the swimmerettes they are probley eggs. If white and inside the central body probley parisite

Yup they are eggs. What are the chances of survival?

Nice to see someone besides me from memphis

Hello! I just got back into the hobby about 3 months ago after a 6 year absence. Things have changed ALOT in 6 years. This board is great for advice. Do you buy from Kermit's here in town? Or something fishy?

Thanks

E

cutndrag2 - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I wouldn't count on the shrimp eggs making it, but you never know. The will make a nice tasty treat for those that find them :)

How much sand were you thinking of adding?

Un Less You Plan On Keeping Sand Sifting Gobies, Most Critters Do Not Go Very Deep Unless You Are Talking About Worms. Even Sand Sifting Stars Don't Usyally Go That Deep. When I Had A Sand Bed 1 1/2 " Deep I Had Access To Seing The Bottom Of My Tank From Inside Of My Cabinet. My Sand Bed Looked Reasonably Clean From Atop But From Below, There Was All Types Of Mulm And Detritus Trapped. I Thought My Cucumbers, Queen Conch, Sand Sifting Star, And Snails,were Doing The Job Of Keeping Things Clean. Than I Started Watching Them In Action. None Of Them Went To The Bottom, They Usually Stayed In The 1/2 To 3/4 " Area. I Removed Half Of My Sand Which And Now Have My Bed Around 3/4 " Deep. My Water Quality Is Better And I Don't Get The Buildup At The Bottom Of My Sand Bed Either. Just A Little Advice From My Experience.

elvis said:
Hello! I just got back into the hobby about 3 months ago after a 6 year absence. Things have changed ALOT in 6 years. This board is great for advice. Do you buy from Kermit's here in town? Or something fishy?

Thanks

E

Hey were realy good friends with sueann at something fishy and they have a good selection of fish. Looking forwared to their new predator room coming soon to take the place of the fresh water section! But hands down Kermit's has the best selection and quality of corals anywhere in the area.Good luck with the sand.

I agree about the 2 local stores. Kermit's sps selection rivals any I've seen anywhere. The sps display tank is awesome. I didn't know that something fishy is turning the freshwater area into a preditor area. I may have to start a fish only tank!

Maybe I will use the black and white sand in my nano cube I'm gettin ready to start and leave my 55 reef alone.

thanks everyone

E

Back