Additives for coral growth

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SDW

I was just wondering if anyone has suggestions for me to help my corals grow, I am just starting to add more coral to my tank. I have some zoos, some GSP, and a candy cane. I just have VHO lighting, and I do not have a calcium reactor. I have been adding calcium to help keep my calcium levels up.

Thanks for the info, I'll get some of that tomorrow. I probably should have just asked you when I bought those :oops:

One very important thing. Make sure you have test kits for for what you are dosing. Going to high can be as bad or worse than allowing the level to go to low.

Kim

Kim is absolutely correct. Don't dose anything you aren't testing for. You need test kits for Ca, Alk, Mg and pH. In my signature, there's a link to Randy's 2 part DIY supplement recipe. It's actually 3 part, Ca, Alk and Mg. In my signature is also a link to a reef calculator that will help you determine how much of each to dose, based on your current numbers and your goal numbers.

For the frozen Cyclopeeze, if you have a LFS that specializes in Cichlids, over there, they may have it.

Very good points, thanks. The stores over here of course do not carry either, I probably will have to order from Foster/Smith. :(

What state do you live in?

What state do you live in?

I was just wondering if anyone has suggestions for me to help my corals grow, I am just starting to add more coral to my tank. I have some zoos, some GSP, and a candy cane. I just have VHO lighting, and I do not have a calcium reactor. I have been adding calcium to help keep my calcium levels up.

I joined in on a group by from dr fosters on frozen food and split the shipping up
25 dollars 3 ways wasn't bad!

Does anyone use, and what is your opinion of, whether you use it or not, Microbe-lift Reef Food and All-in-One Master Supplement for feeding coral? Is this product sufficient or should it be used in addition to another type of coral food?

ACREWS usually I'm in the state of confusion ;) But currently I'm in Montana. There doesn't seem to be very many people doing the reef thing here, unfortunately, cuz I would like to split costs as MyTeeMouse said.

SDW, I am pretty sure we've discussed it, but what part of Montana are you in? Have you gotten in touch with Charlie yet? There's a pretty good sized club in the Flathead Valley area. Also, we'll be coming over to Kalispel this weekend. If you're anywhere near where we'll be, we could bring you some over. For some reason, I'm thinking you're in Missoula?

Check out e-bay, BUT make sure you check their feedback first. I have found some great deals on there that are actual stores, but also selling on e-BAY.

What is your experience adding iodine and strontium?. I know there is a lot of controversy with this issue and many people prefer not to add them whilst others think they are essential elements, in particular iodine to avoid bail out of catalaphyllia and plerogyra and strontium for the long term health of SPS, especially to avoid receding stories due to the white band syndrome.

Back